Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Adding reverse to 93 Prowler

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Para32 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this forum and need some help. I have a really nice 93 Prowler and I need a new decal for the one side of the hood (so it has to look exactly like the factory original)
I also want to add reverse to this rig as I am tired of pulling it out of my garage, lol
I have someone with the complete reverse gear and lever from a 94 Pantera...any one know if this will fit? What should I have him check for to make sure it's a good part? And is this a big job or fairly straight forward bolt on?
Any advice would be cherished

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 90 Prowler and it was offered as a regular and as a reverse model
That said, I bet they kept the changes to a minimum offering 2 configurations like that
Obviously the two chain cases are different
If you go online and look at the fiche, see what parts are different
The handle & you prob need a different panel where the lever comes through the cowl
Then look for different parts on the input shaft from the motor
and the output shaft to the track

The good part is that its a mechanical reverse.
I have seen some that are electrical that make the engine 'hiccup' and start spinning the other direction

These guys have a good fiche:

#4 ·
Well the driveshaft is the same so if you grab both halves of chaincase everything should bolt up. Make sure you get all the brackets for the lever. It should be just a matter of drilling a hole in console for the lever.

#10 ·
Maybe just buy them as NOS parts off of the link or one of the parts links I sent you.

BTW: I dont blame you for wanting reverse. In fact, I think its the best things they ever invented. With aging population and back injury potential for older sledders even more useful. In deeper snow, sure just keep the power on and dont stop.....but you have to be like a shark that has to stay swimming its whole life. When you stop in deep snow, the sled gets stuck in this 'hole' as soon as you see you are stuck, throw it in reverse until it gets stuck again, put it in fwd and now you have a 3 foot 'running start' and alot of times you bust out of that hole. If not, repeat. Bonus points for loading and unloading your sled too.

I suppose everything I am talking about does not matter if the last snowfall was 6" or less. Nothing gets stuck in that. It has a firm base underneath. I suppose if you always drive on packed trails it does not matter as much either....but if you sled on your own south 40 , that ain't going to be packed! YOU have to pack it!

Having reverse make a sled an 'all -weather fighter' to use an old military term.

#13 ·
I was hoping to find someone who may have already had it done somewhere as that dude would have the artwork all done already.
This sled I have is really nice, but it found one nasty tree branch when it was almost new...a new decal on the one side would fixer up good.
I also wouldn't mind getting a new windshield for it, I think they are pretty easy to find

#12 ·
I figured that pic would help alot. You say you have an entire gear case?
That entire gear case gets an input from a shaft that comes all the way across from the CVT drive (upper part of case)
The gear case has an output shaft that goes directly drive the track (lower output shaft from gearcase)
Take a look at parts fiche for different models and make sure different part nos or an 'adapter shaft' of some sort is not called out
...If not, could be a big win for you.

BTW: The gasket on my gearcase was an absolute motherfucker to get into place. It has this odd 'kink' in its shape that makes it an absolute bastard......even with a NEW gasket. After 3 tries I gave up on the gasket . I just put a big schmeer of silicone around the whole perimeter and let it set overnight and then filled with oil.(obviously remove every last trace of oil first)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.