Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, on your sled I believe changing where it is bolted to the tunnel you can move it down a hole to make the back end sit quite a bit higher, and thats all you have to do, no other modifications necessary. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
550 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (speed_freek @ Dec 27 2006, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes, on your sled I believe changing where it is bolted to the tunnel you can move it down a hole to make the back end sit quite a bit higher, and thats all you have to do, no other modifications necessary. :beer_cheers:[/b]

I don't think that that adds travel. It only makes you sit high overall. gsx-revolution, if your sled was a pre-'97 you would have to find a '97 or later skid and that would solve your problems but with your sled there really isn't anything you can do. If you think you want extra travel because you jump alot and you bottom out you can get heavier springs

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Jeff H did it. I'm not exactly sure what he did but I know he had to build a custom shock in order to do it. Cat4Ever is right. Lowering the mounting point doesn't add any travel. Only jacks the rear of your sled up.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gsx-revolution @ Dec 28 2006, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
could a newer 2000+ skid be put into mine to achieve the extra travel?[/b]
I see in your profile that you have a 99 ZL 500. You have the same amount of travel as anything 2000+. In fact all sleds from 97+ with the TSL and ETT have the same amount of travel all the way to the 2006 ZR's. I believe the Firecats also have 13.5" in the rear.

Kevin

·
Registered
106 Posts
JEFF H has a mod for adding travel to the rear of the skid.

I also tried a longer shock on the front torque arm on the ETT skid I have now but I tested it by putting blocks of wood under the rear axle and it doesnt compress fully(tilt fully) because the track tightens up to much. I need to shorten the rails in the front and curve them up a bit more so the suspension can pivot fully. Or maybe it might work if a add a rear coupling kit.

Another thing to try is get somone to machine a longer pivot idler, Its number 12 . If their made to long though they might break when the suspension bottoms out unless their made of steel. Or if their only used for trail riding not extreme snocross conditions. It was already posted on Arctichat a company that makes them but Firefox deleted all my bookmarks so I can find it anymore.
[attachment=58998:0736_333_s.gif][attachment=58997:iq_440.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
It's a real tricky deal to be honest(and not cheap in the end). I spent quite a few hours just doing math on this stuff and still didn't get it right the very first time, but it did point out my miscalculation and made it easier. Only cost me a bent shock shaft that time.

You have to be real careful what you do with the front arm too. If you change front arm lower mount location you are affecting the swing axis of the skid, which could result in some problems. If you do the geometry on this stuff it makes it obvious what needs to be done. It's a very complex system when you start doing that though and you get a different perspective on the achievments of the design engineers. By the time I was done, I had to build a new rear shock(longer) and needed different springs with a longer long arm as well as longer link arms. The linkage ratio was different and became more linear rather then so progressive later in the stroke which required stiffer springs yet. The gain was 2.85" on the swing axis (if I recall correctly) and about 1" in ride height. The truth...it was a lot of work and some of it was frustrating as hell but I guess it was fun. This is the most you can get from it using the stock arms. I'm going to see if I can find any longer arms used on different models to gain even more travel.

2.85" sounds like a lot. It's not really because this is measured on the swing axis. If it was 3" of true vertical travel then it would be BIG it looks BIG though when you say it's gone from 13.5" to 16.35". You can feel this difference but it's really not a BIG gain. But heres the catch....my sled (97 ZR 440) sits about exactly as high as a 02 ZR 800 CCe in the rear, but I have slightly more actual travel due mainly to a linkage ratio change. A M-12 seems like such a good investment sometimes!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts