Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to figure out how to add an electronic tach (#0134-999) to a 78 Cheetah with a 500F/C motor. I did search the forum and I know that this engine should use a mechanical tach because the tach I have was designed to be used on a motor with fewer poles. However, has anyone tried to configure an electronic tach to work? I have seen tach’s (for boats) that allow you to “set” the number of poles on the back so the pulses are read correctly. I know the Arctic Cat tach doesn’t have that option but has anyone tried an inline resistor or other electrical means to prevent the tach from reading too high (reads 7,000 RPM at idle)? I’m not an electrical genius but if anyone can point me where to start, I’m willing to experiment to try and make it work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tach is NOS (in the box) and was used on various sleds from 1974 thru 1976. If you go to Brown's web site, you can enter "0134-999" and see what sleds it was used on. Hopefully this weekend, I will try using some various resistors between the tach and the feed from the engine and see what happens. My Cheetah didn't come with any kind of guages. As a matter of fact, the only guage I have ever seen on a Cheetah of my vintage (1978) is a speedometer. Usually the dash just has plugs were the guages should go.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you know how to work with flip flops and gates? you will need to divide by 5. will look around and see if i can find a simple circuit to do what you need to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No....I have never built an IC with "flip flops & gates" nor do I have a background in electronics. But, any input you have in order for me to meet this objective is appreciated and I am willing to learn (I do have contacts that may be able to help). I feel like this can't be too difficult a task to accomplish for the right person so any assistance is appreciated. Thanks! Rick

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't know about then, but now adays you have different pulses to deal with. If you put the wrong tach on, even though it looks the same, it won't function. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts