Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am no professional mechanic but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to what is left of the inner part of the right wheel bearing on the shaft of a AC 2001 4x4. Has anyone had experience with one that looks like this? I am assuming it is pressed on and off from the outside in but I cannot get the hub off of the shaft. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forum @John813c from the looks of your photos this is on a solid rear axle machine.

Have you tried reviewing a service manual and parts diagram for the assembly of that area to have a better understanding of how everything is held together? You can find a service manual at countrycat.com under "Technical Information" at the bottom, and a parts diagram under the "OEM Parts Lookup" on the same website.

It looks to me from the parts diagram that the axle and hub assembly are one piece and do not come apart, or are not purchasable in 2 pieces .but that brake rotor can be CAREFULLY removed to give you more room.

Generally for a stuck on bearing like that I would place the shaft in a vice/clamp and apply heat with a torch, propane, map gas, propane O2, or acetylene. When the race is heated quite hot i would tap lightly on it with a hammer & chisel to try and rotate the race on the shaft slightly and let gravity try to work it down. If this doesn't work I would try using a die grinder/dremel and cutting a small relief in the race to release it. even if the cut doesn't penetrate all the way through.

I might also try setting the race in the vice and rotating the hub back and forth while pulling the hub away.

Soak it in power blaster/something for a day and then get it really hot. (careful, fire hazard)

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum @John813c from the looks of your photos this is on a solid rear axle machine.

Have you tried reviewing a service manual and parts diagram for the assembly of that area to have a better understanding of how everything is held together? You can find a service manual at countrycat.com under "Technical Information" at the bottom, and a parts diagram under the "OEM Parts Lookup" on the same website.

It looks to me from the parts diagram that the axle and hub assembly are one piece and do not come apart, or are not purchasable in 2 pieces .but that brake rotor can be CAREFULLY removed to give you more room.

Generally for a stuck on bearing like that I would place the shaft in a vice/clamp and apply heat with a torch, propane, map gas, propane O2, or acetylene. When the race is heated quite hot i would tap lightly on it with a hammer & chisel to try and rotate the race on the shaft slightly and let gravity try to work it down. If this doesn't work I would try using a die grinder/dremel and cutting a small relief in the race to release it. even if the cut doesn't penetrate all the way through.

I might also try setting the race in the vice and rotating the hub back and forth while pulling the hub away.

Soak it in power blaster/something for a day and then get it really hot. (careful, fire hazard)
Awesome! Thanks for the information/sources! I believe you are right I cut the inner race out and the outer is a little more stubborn but I just need to find the right press! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,409 Posts
if the OUTER race is stuck INSIDE something like a carrier/swing-arm/knuckle, there is an old trick where you take a welder and just run a small bead/series of small tacks of weld around the inside of the race and when it cools it will fall out.

I use a trick for putting new bearings into a housing/knuckle, if there is no rubber involved I put the new bearings in a sealed bag in the freezer over night, heat the knuckle with a heat gun/torch, take the bearing from the freezer and push it right in... wearing gloves... be careful..

I'm sure someone will say this is a bad idea, but as i mentioned depends if there is rubber involved whether I use heat or not.

Reactions: doorfx
1 - 4 of 4 Posts