Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to upgrade my winch setup with the new warn wireless remote system but when checking out Rocky Mountain ATV the notes says it is incompatible with OEM AC Warn winches? bang your head Can anybody confirm this or the years it applies to? I email'd Warn but have not received a response yet. Their website says nothing about it. badcomputer

·
Registered
749 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (remotruker @ Jun 21 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was looking to upgrade my winch setup with the new warn wireless remote system but when checking out Rocky Mountain ATV the notes says it is incompatible with OEM AC Warn winches? bang your head Can anybody confirm this or the years it applies to? I email'd Warn but have not received a response yet. Their website says nothing about it. badcomputer[/b]
I have an 07 700 with a AC (warn) winch and I got a Warn wireless remote off Ebay. Installed it and it works fine.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you happen to know the part number of your winch? Mine is 2258-146. How did the install go?

·
Registered
749 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (remotruker @ Jun 21 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you happen to know the part number of your winch? Mine is 2258-146. How did the install go?[/b]
It is a 3000# AC by Warn. The only thing that I remember was the wire colors from the contactor didn't match the wires in the instructions. It was just a matter of trial & error.

Don't know the part#.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the Warn Rep I contacted:

Brian,
The Arctic Cat winch that you have does not use Warn electrical controls to operate the winch. It is using a contactor and switch provided by Arctic Cat from another manufacturer. Sorry, the control system that your winch is using is not compatible with the Warn ATV wireless system.

Michael McEwen

Technical Customer Service Representative

Arctic Cat had to go and be different, didn't they?! chairshot

I have asked for the part numbers to change out to get this system up and working. I will keep this thread posted for those interested.... I dunno

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had to replace my contactor on my warn (AC) 2.5ci winch. I ordered the part through warn and the only difference was the AC contactor used a three wire switch and the actual warn contactor uses a two wire switch. I made it work with the switch that came with the winch, and all is fine. I'm sure you could make it work!!
-ArcticCrewzr

·
Registered
749 Posts
The AC contactor still only uses two wires for "in" & "out", it's just a simple matter of matching the correct wires from the contactor to the remote unit and the switch from the handle bars.

My Warn wireless control is working perfectly with the AC contactor. I contacted Warn tech support also, and they told me the same thing. But he also told me the main difference that matters here is the color of the wires.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You should be able to interface any kind of wireless system with relay outputs. Princess Auto here in Canada sells a four channel remote kit for about $20. You need two channels for your winch controls and the other two well you could do whatever you want with them, turn on your lites, stereo, ect. The remote pendant is about the same size as your common remote car starter pendant. This is an easy project and is on my to do list as soon as I get my honey do list caught up. If I can find the link I will put it up for you guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to go ahead and order my wireless kit from Warn. I will try to get pictures and do a wright up of how it goes. I've done my fair share of wiring stereos so hopefully this will go somewhat smoothly. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wired the warn wireless winch setup onto my 07 H1 with the 2500 with no problem. took me about 15 minutes

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have hit a roadblock. The remote is supposed to connect to a Warn solenoid with a 2 wire system Black and Green. However Arctic Cat uses a different solenoid that uses a 3 wire system, Black, Green, Blue. The handlebar switch has 3 wires, Red, Blue, Green. What i have figured out is that basically 12v + comes from the battery, thru a key'd wire, to the handle bar switch. When you click IN or OUT on the handle bar switch it sends 12v + to the solenoid to activate it. What i can't figure out is what to connect the Warn wireless wires to? Anybody install this yet that can give some pointers? I have tried to connect Warn Black/ Green to AC Black/Green but that didn't work. I have also tried Warn Black/Green to AC Black/Blue. In either case the winch does not move in or out.

Jetski- can you tell me what you connected the Warn Black/green wires to?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got the system to work with help from Jetskirider00 :chug:

Here is the wiring [attachment=103122:img016.jpg]:

The Warn wireless controller Green and Black wires splice in here. Note that the Warn controller has 2 sets of Green/Black wires. When the remote is activated, only 1 pair pushes 12v. The other pair is only used in conjunction of a OEM Warn switch. [attachment=103123:IMG_1095.JPG]

Connect the Warn 12v Green wire to the AC Blue wire from the handle Bar switch.
Connect the Warn 12 Black wire to the AC Green wire from the handle bar switch.

Power for the Warn Controller comes from the same switched wire that the OEM Handlebar switch does here: [attachment=103124:IMG_1096.JPG]

I connected the Warn Black ground wire direct to the battery. I also mounted the controller on the right-hand side behind the plastic fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Remotruker, I'm sure the winch works fine the way you have it connected. But the Mini rocker switch should be wired to the Warn Wireless module also. The possibility exist of both directions being engaged at once. I'm thinking the contactor might be shorted, not sure what would happen if anything.

With the mini rocker connected to the remote module, when you choose to use the wireless control, the Warn module electrically disconnects the mini rocker. After a 2 minutes of idle time the wireless control is deactivated and winch control is returned to the mini rocker.

The Warn wireless control box is just a pass through until the remote control is engaged.

I know this is a little late, but hope it helps.

Here is the correct wiring; ETA. I should have said, here is the correct wiring on my 07 700EFI. But I think it will apply to most any recent AC winch

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks overdriv. This should go it the Pinned Section :site:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey remotrucker why did you not post the updated diagram that i sent you?
it is just like what overdriv posted, just not as pretty

I really like the 10 seconds delay after the handlebar switch is used, good saftey feature
keep from burning the contactor or something else up

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the time i saw your diagram, Overdriv had already posted in the thread, but thanks to both!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jetskirider00 @ Jul 7 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey remotrucker why did you not post the updated diagram that i sent you?
it is just like what overdriv posted, just not as pretty

I really like the 10 seconds delay after the handlebar switch is used, good saftey feature
keep from burning the contactor or something else up[/b]

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
any way to make it, so that your wireless controler will control what ever winch the dpdt switch is on>?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nwngunner @ Dec 15 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
any way to make it, so that your wireless controler will control what ever winch the dpdt switch is on>?[/b]
I think, mind you.. think.. that if you ran correct blue and yellow (provided they match for in / out / forward / backward) to both winches in the series, I think that the green and black that control the contactor would allow you to switch at the dpdt and use the remote on either one.. Basically, you'd be using one contactor (I found out that the promark box is just another contactor and you have to use it instead of the double contactor I drew out - just wire to both and go....

Not tested mind you but it looks like it would work... If I did that I'd fuse the hell out of it... ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts