Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Even using jumper cables , if the battery has a shorted plate it may still click. It will cause a partial dead short.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
37,664 Posts
X2^^^^

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The battery is brand new (bought b/c of this issue). My 2 chargers have a 75A engine start mode & a 200A engine start mode. Guess I'll take the battery in to be load tested... What an acceptable output on a new & charged battery when load testing?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ok. First, is it turning over? If it is, take a rubber mallet and tap on the tank to see if you have a bad fuel pump. Spark if it turns over? Test solenoid by crossing with a screw driver if not turning over.

·
Administrator
7,792 Posts
Totally disconnect the quad battery and use a car battery with a good set of jumper cables. 12 volts is 12 volts. It should roll over. If it dont it aint the battery.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks tiggershark - did just that, hooked it up to my truck w/ a good set of jumper cables & it still clicks so I guess it's not the battery. So starter or solenoid? Should it start if I touch the solenoid points w/ a screwdriver?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to on but when I press the start button it only clicks...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks tiggershark - did just that, hooked it up to my truck w/ a good set of jumper cables & it still clicks so I guess it's not the battery. So starter or solenoid? Should it start if I touch the solenoid points w/ a screwdriver?
It should. If it doesn't I would pull the starter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It doesn't start if I turn both the key & switch on then touch the solenoid contact points w/ a screwdriver so does that mean starter or solenoid? Is Country Cat a good place to order one from?

·
Administrator
37,664 Posts
Put a meter on the starter and see if you get voltage when you cross the solenoid terminals. If you do then the starter is the culprit. If you don’t then the solenoid is the problem.
This of course is all moot if you have a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you ground the solenoid, it should spin the motor. If not, it is in between the solenoid to the starter. Most likely the starter.

·
Administrator
37,664 Posts
Ground the solenoid?

·
Administrator
37,664 Posts
Yes that is good. Grounding it is bad.

·
Administrator
37,664 Posts
Good to hear