Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I've got a 2013 AC 700 quad & when trying to start it today I got 2 errors. 1st was P0562 & 2nd was C0064 / fuel off & it wouldn't start. I hooked up a battery charger to the battery & put it on engine start mode & nothing happened so I'm guessing it's not the battery? I had been riding it right before it wouldn't crank. Any tips on where to start troubleshooting this?

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn key on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question doorfx & I'm not sure. I put it on a trickle charger for 6 hrs. today & when I went back out, my shop smelled like Sulfur & part of the battery tab on the top has opened up (looked like the tab above 1 cell) so I guess the 1st thing I need to do is replace the battery. What size/kind do you all recommend for this quad & where's a good place to order from?

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
A lot of guys run a motobatt battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just installed the new battery. I hear something (I believe is the fuel pump) when I turn the key to ON. When I press the start button theres a click click click coming from I'm guessing a solenoid near the battery. No error codes showing up though. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
You have a bad /rusty/dirty connection. Clean up all contact points pos and neg with a wire brush.
Did you fully charge the new battery ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply doorfx. The connections on the battery terminals & wires (winch, fog lights) are very clean. Could it be another connection somewhere else? No I didn't charge the battery, thought it was fully charged, especially by how loud the clicking was when I tried to start the quad... Below is a link to the battery I purchased. Should I charge it & if so, trickle or regular charge for how long?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think doorfx is right. These machines are very fussy about the battery connections. Make sure you tighten the bolts/screws with a wrench or socket, not a screwdriver. If you can grab the wires and wiggle them back and forth on the bolt then they're not tight enough.

I would charge it at 2 amps for 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4. I did tighten them down very snug but will pull them off, clean, & charge the battery. Would dielectric grease on the connectors help or no? Appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
Yes you need to trickle charge the battery.

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
Did you get it running?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, removed the new battery & trickle charged it on 2A for 6 hrs. Re-installed & it just clicks. Battery cables & accessory wires are all very clean where they attach to the battery & I put a little di-electric grease on them when I reinstalled so I'm guessing that rules out the battery or connections at that point.

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
Trickle charge takes 10hours or more at 2 amps. .
Do you have a multi meter? Put it on both posts of the starter solenoid and try starting it. If you don’t see voltage it would show that your starter solenoid is no good. 9 /10 times it is low voltage or a bad connection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the late reply, the wheeler is at our mountain property & I didn't get up there till this past weekend. I trickle charged the battery again & tested it, it's reading 12.4 volts. I have a Klein multimeter but am not good w/ electronics. I tried testing what I think is the starter solenoid (slightly in front of the battery) but it shows 12.4 also (I'm guessing b/c the red battery cable is hooked up to it) or... that's not the starter solenoid & I'm testing the wrong thing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good question doorfx & I'm not sure. I put it on a trickle charger for 6 hrs. today & when I went back out, my shop smelled like Sulfur & part of the battery tab on the top has opened up (looked like the tab above 1 cell) so I guess the 1st thing I need to do is replace the battery. What size/kind do you all recommend for this quad & where's a good place to order from?
Sounds like a bad cell. Put a dry cell battery in there regardless of what brand you use. Much easier to deal with.

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
12.4 is a low battery. Possibly a bad cell as stated above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm. If I connected my battery charger to the battery (while it was hooked up) & put the charger on engine start mode would that determine if the battery is bad for sure if it will or won't start?

·
Administrator
37,311 Posts
The best thing to do is take it in to an auto parts store and get them to load test it.

·
Administrator
7,743 Posts
You can use jumper cables hooked to a car or truck but DO NOT have the car-truck running. If the clicking goes away, the battery is your problem. If it still clicks, look elsewhere. 12.4 volts on a quad that has been sitting for a long time isnt all that bad. I just tested my battery on my 2017 and the quad sat for 2 weeks, 12.38 volts but it started right up. Charge it, get it load tested. If the quad has a winch, unhook it. Same for the fog lights. Or hand warmers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts