Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2003 AC 500 auto TRV. I haven't been able to ride the machine much the past two years other that around the neighborhood to keep it moving every so often. I finally brought it up to Maine recently to ride the ITS. I took it for a 35 mile loop and it was making a high pitch whining noise I haven't heard from it before, now the noise isn't screaming loud but its a certain pitch that becomes bothersome to hear. I was riding without a helmet and decided to toss the helmet back on to help block out the noise.

I replaced the belt cover bearing about 2 years ago when I first bought it, doesn't have many miles on it since then probably under 100. The belt cover does get very warm but not to the point that you couldn't keep your hand on it while wearing a riding glove.

I changed the oil before we went up it did have some black stuff stuck to the drain plug magnet, very fine and not a huge amount but it had some.

I have also recently checked the valves, they were fine. Pulled the auto cam chain tensioner and it had tons to go.

The oil I put into it was just conventional NAPA brand 10-40.

Any ideas of what this could be? belt maybe? also i'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure it only does it while you are moving....

One last thing, when you are stopped and give it throttle to get going every so often it feels like it has to slightly "break free" before it starts moving, doesn't do it every time. Before I replaced the belt cover bearing it did this every time.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Does whine change pitch with revving the engine or when your speed changes? It could be a wheel bearing or a driveshaft u-joint. What do you mean by conventional oil? Is it wet clutch approved meaning absolutely no friction modifiers are present.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whine does change pitch at certain speeds, at around 30 it would be pretty annoying. If went a little above or below 30 it wouldnt be as bad.

Any way to tell if driveshaft u-joint is good without removing?

I unfortunately dont know if it was wet clutch rated or not I just grabbed the cheap stuff napa brand. It doesnt seem to slip at all but maybe I'll grab some new oil and see if anything changes.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
It might be too late

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be too late
I hope not. Is that one of the symptoms of a destroyed clutch? I don't have the old bottles they're in the trash. I'm going to swing by a NAPA and check the back of the bottle....completely forgot to check for that when I purchased.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
It could also be a one way bearing making the noise. It’s hard to tell without hearing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back to NAPA today to check the back of the bottle. No info on energy conserving or friction modifiers. I called the number on the bottle which is Valvoline apparently and they said it does indeed have friction modifiers. I'm going to do an oil change and hope the for the best. I'll post what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Changing the oil to wetclutch compatable after the fact wont fix any damage IF there is any. Can you record and post the whine?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the oil to wetclutch compatable after the fact wont fix any damage IF there is any. Can you record and post the whine?

I definitely don't believe that changing oil will reverse any type of damage. It never slipped or felt like something was wrong so hopefully it isn't too late. Still waiting for my new filter and oil to come in. I will post a video of the whine after the oil change, if it's still there.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Not sure where you’re getting oil from that you have to wait for it but if you have a Suzuki dealer near you, you can get a filter from them. I think there’s a “sticky” on this forum for filter interchange too. As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 is highly recommended on here. Just for future reference.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I could never find one of those filters instock at my local auto store. Perhaps a motorcycle shop would have something.
Regardless, the whine can be from a few different sources.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where you’re getting oil from that you have to wait for it but if you have a Suzuki dealer near you, you can get a filter from them. I think there’s a “sticky” on this forum for filter interchange too. As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 is highly recommended on here. Just for future reference.
No suzuki dealers near me. I needed a couple other parts from Babbitts and had a 10% coupon so I ordered from them. I will check out the Rotella, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
mcline86
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing