Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2003 AC 500 auto TRV. I haven't been able to ride the machine much the past two years other that around the neighborhood to keep it moving every so often. I finally brought it up to Maine recently to ride the ITS. I took it for a 35 mile loop and it was making a high pitch whining noise I haven't heard from it before, now the noise isn't screaming loud but its a certain pitch that becomes bothersome to hear. I was riding without a helmet and decided to toss the helmet back on to help block out the noise.

I replaced the belt cover bearing about 2 years ago when I first bought it, doesn't have many miles on it since then probably under 100. The belt cover does get very warm but not to the point that you couldn't keep your hand on it while wearing a riding glove.

I changed the oil before we went up it did have some black stuff stuck to the drain plug magnet, very fine and not a huge amount but it had some.

I have also recently checked the valves, they were fine. Pulled the auto cam chain tensioner and it had tons to go.

The oil I put into it was just conventional NAPA brand 10-40.

Any ideas of what this could be? belt maybe? also i'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure it only does it while you are moving....

One last thing, when you are stopped and give it throttle to get going every so often it feels like it has to slightly "break free" before it starts moving, doesn't do it every time. Before I replaced the belt cover bearing it did this every time.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Does whine change pitch with revving the engine or when your speed changes? It could be a wheel bearing or a driveshaft u-joint. What do you mean by conventional oil? Is it wet clutch approved meaning absolutely no friction modifiers are present.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whine does change pitch at certain speeds, at around 30 it would be pretty annoying. If went a little above or below 30 it wouldnt be as bad.

Any way to tell if driveshaft u-joint is good without removing?

I unfortunately dont know if it was wet clutch rated or not I just grabbed the cheap stuff napa brand. It doesnt seem to slip at all but maybe I'll grab some new oil and see if anything changes.

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
It might be too late

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be too late
I hope not. Is that one of the symptoms of a destroyed clutch? I don't have the old bottles they're in the trash. I'm going to swing by a NAPA and check the back of the bottle....completely forgot to check for that when I purchased.

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
It could also be a one way bearing making the noise. It’s hard to tell without hearing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back to NAPA today to check the back of the bottle. No info on energy conserving or friction modifiers. I called the number on the bottle which is Valvoline apparently and they said it does indeed have friction modifiers. I'm going to do an oil change and hope the for the best. I'll post what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Changing the oil to wetclutch compatable after the fact wont fix any damage IF there is any. Can you record and post the whine?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the oil to wetclutch compatable after the fact wont fix any damage IF there is any. Can you record and post the whine?

I definitely don't believe that changing oil will reverse any type of damage. It never slipped or felt like something was wrong so hopefully it isn't too late. Still waiting for my new filter and oil to come in. I will post a video of the whine after the oil change, if it's still there.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Not sure where you’re getting oil from that you have to wait for it but if you have a Suzuki dealer near you, you can get a filter from them. I think there’s a “sticky” on this forum for filter interchange too. As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 is highly recommended on here. Just for future reference.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I could never find one of those filters instock at my local auto store. Perhaps a motorcycle shop would have something.
Regardless, the whine can be from a few different sources.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where you’re getting oil from that you have to wait for it but if you have a Suzuki dealer near you, you can get a filter from them. I think there’s a “sticky” on this forum for filter interchange too. As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 is highly recommended on here. Just for future reference.
No suzuki dealers near me. I needed a couple other parts from Babbitts and had a 10% coupon so I ordered from them. I will check out the Rotella, thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all! Happy New Years Eve! I finally got around to riding the quad. I know its been like 3 months....I'm a sole proprietor and my free time sometimes is non existent.

I brought the quad up to Maine recently and did a little riding, the high pitched whining noise is still there. It really seems to be coming from the right side where the belt and the drive is. I did replace the bearing that's in the belt cover already a couple years ago. When I had the cover off the belt looked fine to me? I'm going to take a wild guess and say it is the original belt though. This machine had original tires, hand grips, etc. when i bought it, I doubt it has ever been changed. Could the belt be the noise maker?

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
Take a piece of pipe and hold it to various points on the engine. You will be able to narrow it down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I personally would be surprised if it WASN'T the belt. That would be my bet anyway. Even new belts can tend to have a little whine to them, and from what I've found personally, they tend to get noisier the older and harder the belt becomes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty confident its coming from the belt side. I can hit a certain RPM and its almost ear piercing without a helmet on, especially if you lean down to the belt cover. Any recommendations on belts?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Go factory on the belt and a Suzuki dealer will be cheaper than Cat. Cat will just re-tag a Suzuki belt.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm pretty confident its coming from the belt side. I can hit a certain RPM and its almost ear piercing without a helmet on, especially if you lean down to the belt cover. Any recommendations on belts?
Oem.... but... you can LEAN down to listen to the cover? Wow

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would STRONGLY suspect the bearing. What was the bearing for?

Since you replaced it and the problem seemed to occur afterward the bearing itself may not be seated correctly (too tight, not tight enough), or, it could actually be a bad bearing. One thing with parts from China or Mexico is quality issues. For NON wear type parts (hoses, clamps, screws, etc.) I don't care where I buy them from as much. But, for anything that carries a load I am extra careful and pay more. If you went on the cheap there it could be your problem if you seated and torqued it correctly.

Also, if it is an oil-fed bearing you might want to open it up and check any oiling port to be sure it did not get plugged up. The whining you are describing could be from not getting enough oil to the bearing. Not sure what you changed but I would definitely double check that first before anything else. That seems to be the genesis of your problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts