Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new atv. I'm looking at the 400-500 class and was wondering what would be the better deal. The msrp are are the same but you get the winch, wheels, and the bumpers with the AC. Which is the best deal?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I looked at both when I was getting mine. I liked the ground clearance and the suspension travel of the AC. If you have the money to spare you might want to think about going with the 500 AC, it shouldn't be to much more, and you'll love the power difference. You might want to see what kind of offers your dealer has going on. I ended up getting the 650 and the dealer threw in the winch for free.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I was checking out the 450 kingquad at the International bike show last weekend and its an awesome quad. Its a KQ with a 450efi engine. very nice put together and full size. If your choosing between the cat 400 and kg 450 the 450 is a way nicer quad imo. 75cc's more and efi.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am hoping that Cat will get use of that engine and re-power the current 400 and just make 450's. Kinda like Polaris did. I have a AC 400 and it is a very good machine but a little under powered for what I like. I think th 450 sounds like the ticket.

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
I really dont think Cat would come out w/ a 450 and a 500. I think the 400 (375cc) is a great low priced quad or entry level full size quad.( yeah even the 400's costs alot) Years ago they sold a liquid cooled 400 (actual 400 cc's) and the air cooled 375. The 375 was every bit as fast/powerful as the 400, so they dropped the 400. The results was a more affordable 400 class full size quad.
I'm sure that 450 would be close to cats 500 for power. I'm not sure if you could do any mods to an efi engine though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
the KQ 700 is 1k more than the 450 and probably has the feel of double the power.You can probably get left over 06s for around $6200 b/c when i was looking for a quad back in august of 05 I had a yellow one oredered for $6250 with 27" ITP 589s. Thats what I would look for if you consider the 450 jump and grab the 700. AC the 500s usually arent much more than the 400s but then the H1s are much more than the 500s so take your pick :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would go with the 500 AC auto. I belive you would love it and like others have said you can do more modes to it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was talking to a dealer (owner) about the 450EFI Engine from the KQ getting into an AC Frame like the current 700 does. He was told by AC to get rid of all his 400's as fast as he could. They also leaked out that AC was going to offer a 450EFI AC this year. Coincidence? I think not. IF it is true then I will get rid of my sons 05 Polaris 400 and upgrade him to an AC!!

SO if you can wait then I would give it a few more months.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yup, that is what I heard too, Arctic Cat is dropping both the 400 and 500 and will use the 450EFI starting this summer. :chug:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I hope not because then there wouldnt be a manual. I just noticed on cats site that the 500 auto ways 43lbs more than the 500 manual. thats a big difference.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Don't mean to start a bunch of crap but I really like the idea of a 450 fuel injected quad. I know its not everybodys cup of tea but, I for one like fuel injection. I just wish Cat would put F.I. on the H1 and build there own system. I though Cat was all about buliding there own stuff. One engine? Thats it? One?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would go with the kingquad. Simply because it has efi. But also it has lower ground clearance too and a crappy 4x4 system. Plus it probbably steers better too. And is also quit a bit lighter and skinnier too. Just my 2cents worth. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I just traded in my stepsons '03 AC 400 FIS manual over Xmas. Looked at everything except Poo and Kough-a-sicki. Ended up with a Yammy Griz 450 with dealer installed winch for $6150 out the door. Wanted to stay with AC but the dealers In Central Tx would not deal. Wanted 5700 - 6000 for the 400 auto and that was not with all the fees. Hondas were efi but NO susp. travel. Zukis fit and finish were not what I expected. The yammy has great power band and terrific handling when compared to my wifes '06 400 AC auto. Actually thought she would steal his before i could give it to him; But she LOVES her AC. with all that said you might consider the GRIZ if you dont mind a 3/4 size wheeeler, it is a little smaller and lighter than the AC and the king but feels larger than the Honda.

P.s DO NOT buy a used ATV with an Il. title unless you give it a very thorough check. Bought that '03 and checked it over quickly because it looked very clean, got it home and 3mo later the gremlins came out. took it to a AC dealer and they told me that the atv had been wrecked/fell off a truck or trailer on a highway or the like. Nothing was within specs. They said, like vehicles, alot of people wash titles by registering them out of state then bringing them back in. No offense intended to our Il. bretheren intended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts