Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone, heres the deal. I need new tires on my quad. I like the looks of the xtr's but need to know how good they are sand and rocks. I tend to ride in sandy river beds and rocky trails with lots of very sharp and/or pointed rocks. I just got my stock tires slashed by some rocks after commenting to the guys with me how nice they tend to handle and how good they were doing on the rocks for 2 ply tires (should have kept my mouth shut). The question that I really need to know is, are they a good enough tire for rocks or will they cut easy on the rocks? Alot of the guys out here use bighorns or what look like them but was hoping for something a little different.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 25"xtr's in the sand they dig (not much fun) but they will get you thru it.
both my front tires got sliced up pretty bad (almost lost the entire lug in several places)trail riding. After a few calls to "itp" they replaced both tires at no charge.have not heard back if they were defective or what(returned them to factory).I also have bighorns that are much
better in the sand and they are said to be the best rock tire.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Honestly, do a forum search. Same questions becoming repeatitive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steveg05 @ Feb 27 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have 25"xtr's in the sand they dig (not much fun) but they will get you thru it.
both my front tires got sliced up pretty bad (almost lost the entire lug in several places)trail riding. After a few calls to "itp" they replaced both tires at no charge.have not heard back if they were defective or what(returned them to factory).I also have bighorns that are much
better in the sand and they are said to be the best rock tire.[/b]

Thanks steveg05, I guess I will look for something else. I really don't want to dig into the sand or tear of pieces of the tires. I sure as heck don't want a tire that I have to keep on a maintained road, thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny1313 @ Feb 27 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Honestly, do a forum search. Same questions becoming repeatitive.[/b]

Honestly, if you had read my sig, you would have seen that I asked about sand and sharp rocks, not mud and snow. Now you do a search and find me some threads about the xtr's and how they do in sand and sharp rocks. As for it being repeatitive, then by now you should have known better then to even open this thread.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Maybe I should ask the question how does XTR's perform in "salt water" or "slush", then we covered all the basics...

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny1313 @ Feb 27 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe I should ask the question how does XTR's perform in "salt water" or "slush", then we covered all the basics...[/b]

If you have been on here as long as I have (many others longer) and have seen some of the guys come and go and have answered the same question over and over then you can say your sick of the repeating stuff. Do what I do, If you don't want to answer it again then don't answer it, simple as that. I rarely don't answer a question if I know the answer regardless if it has been asked over and over. It is called being a good person and helping out when you can. Hey I know what you mean, don't get me wrong, but don't step on toes because a question might have been asked before, just don't answer it or find a link for them to help out as you might need the same hand some day. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I didn't think my first comment was that bad.. seeing I get that comment alot and don't whine over it when someone tells me to do a forum search, just means the info is there, no sense typing it twice...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Feb 27 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny1313 @ Feb 27 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I should ask the question how does XTR's perform in "salt water" or "slush", then we covered all the basics...[/b]

If you have been on here as long as I have (many others longer) and have seen some of the guys come and go and have answered the same question over and over then you can say your sick of the repeating stuff. Do what I do, If you don't want to answer it again then don't answer it, simple as that. I rarely don't answer a question if I know the answer regardless if it has been asked over and over. It is called being a good person and helping out when you can. Hey I know what you mean, don't get me wrong, but don't step on toes because a question might have been asked before, just don't answer it or find a link for them to help out as you might need the same hand some day. :beer_cheers:
[/b][/quote]

Good advice, Walt!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
If we all went by that train of thought, we'd shut this site down as 99% of the questions have already been answered, simple as that. As Modn stated, you don't have to answer if you don't want to or feel like it. You can advise that they do a search by suggesting keywords for them. You can give them links to relative posts. You can do all sorts of positive things to help our fellow riders. Simply put, if you have nothing constructive to add to the post/conversation, then find another post you can offer positively to. There's no sense in calling someone a whiner or anything else derogatory, nor will it be tolerated. That's all I'll say about those kinds of posts (from anyone)...that is the warning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sanny,
That's what I love about this site. Keep it positive or keep it outa here.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the other thing to consider about asking a repetitive question is that there are always new people buying a product. They may offer a fresh perspective. I know that both you and I have recently bought 26' XTRs (thanks to the advice received on this forum). As we use our new tires in different situations, we will arrive at our own conclusions about them and pass them along when appropriate.
As an example, the weather forcast at the Oregon coast this weekend for the first time in months (well, in a few weeks actually) isn't calling for wind and rain and wind and rain. Gonna load up the 500, the boys' Raptor and DVX400 and head for the dunes. I don't know if any tire makes a 700 lb utility quad go any better on the dunes, but I will find out if the XTRs work any better than the stockers. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. I'll file a report when I return.
Steve

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i have both the bighorns and xtr's and in your scenario the bighorns would be a better choice. i agree with steveg05

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey Sanny, I wish you'd practice what you preached about derogatory statements etc. Just after I joined this site I had a problem with my dealer closing so I started a forum, here is a reply I got back from one of your fello "team arctic cat"

"....good luck with customer service......sorry to hear about your trouble....dealers of ALL brands come and go, some stay around longer than others. Maybe I'm just in a pissy mood myself right now but, SELL THE DAMN THING and SHUT-UP!!!
Have a nice day,"
AL

Nice help there eh? thx bud!

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
If your asking Sanny where he was on that thread and didn't respond to it, is because he didn't see it. We as moderator's cant see every response written. We catch alot on our own and if someone has an issue with another member, they bring it to our attention. So, if someone "get's away" with something, then their lucky.
Arctic Chat rules and guidelines are on every topic. If you haven't read them, now is the time.
If you do a little more homework, there is a difference between "Team Arctic Chat 2007" and "Arctic Chat Moderator's".
Now, back the subject, XTR's are very good in sand, wet sand! Not so hot in the dry stuff. My buddy has Bighorn's and runs them in Colorado, alot of hard sharp rock's. All I can say is that the Bighorns are his favorite in the Mts.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I agree 100% with Sanny and Tigershark :thumbsup:

I have the XTR's and they really dig in the snow I will see this summer how they are in the sand, however I would think that if they dig in the snow they would do the same in the sand

Good luck whatever you choose

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Johnny, I feel as though you may misunderstand our capacities in this moderator position. When we see something out of line, we call people on it. We are not paid and receive not a single form of compensation or preferential treatment for this service. We also do not it in front of our computers and scan every single post on every single topic. We are just people like you trying to keep the peace. There are 13000+ members on this site and roughly 8 moderators and tons of replies every day to various topics. I think you can understand where I'm going with this. So, in closing, I may suggest backing off your aggresive stance and stop doubting the integrity of the people that help keep this site as attractive to people (such as yourself) as it is.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I ride in creek beds with my XTR's in the summer time and in Wet sand they do great, I was in a gravel pit this past fall and they didn't do very well in soft dry sand. They do however climb over rocks very nice and I have not seen any cuts or anything in mine yet, but the rocks I ride in are not sharp, they are like field stone all rounded and weathered. The tread really grabs onto a lot of stuff you would think they wouldn't grab onto. 700 miles on mine now and I love them. Been plowing snow all winter with them also they do tend to dig a hole in the snow, but I have found that if you swap them side to side so the tread is backwards they don't dig so bad..

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
That's kind of interesting, Swapping side to side would make for a totally different tire. I have about 20 inches of snow right now, I'll let you know the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts