Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2004 500cc cat. It pretty much stock the previous owner told me he put a little richer jet in because he'd take it into the mountains in Colorado. I'm trying to do the muffler mod and I cut the very back part of the muffler off and it exposed a baffle plate with 3 tubes welded in it. After I saw that I checked the pictures people have posted on here of gutting their muffler and it looked nothing like what I've seen. So I cut just a hair more off the muffler just to get past that baffle plate and now I've exposed another baffle with 1 tube that comes out of the center of it, stopped just before the baffle I cut out and then it would vent into the 3 little tubes. Do I need to take this baffle out as well? I've tried grabbing the tubes with pliers and working it and the next baffle out but it would only wiggle up about 1" and stop. I just want to make sure I don't drill a bunch of holes in this baffle and find out there is still another behind me and have accomplished nothing. I hope this makes sense to everyone. I see where several people have posted 4 evenly spaced tubes in the center of their muffler but I haven't found that yet. Do i need to go further?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics.

Here is the first baffle I saw immediately after the end cap was cut off. It was welded to three small tubes.

I then cut off that baffle and here is what I saw next. I tried like crazy to remove this baffle by grabbing on to one of the tubes with vice grips and pulling, but didn't make to much head way.

Here is a pic of the muffler so you can see how deep I cut down. I'm sure I didn't take much more than 1.5" off of it with my cut.

Are there any more baffles deeper in the muffler? I drilled through the second baffle but if there is another one after that I need to find a deeper drill bit. I just don't want to put it all back together and find out there is one baffle in there still restricting it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 13 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://forum.highlifter.com/tm.aspx?high=&...mpage=1#3438456

post #8 is your style, you'll need a dynojet kit also.[/b]
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that. I guess cause it still doesn't look 100% like mine but after looking at those pics again I think they were taken after the carnage.

Do you know do those other baffles just pull out? When I grab the tubes attached to the second baffle it starts to pull the whole inner sleeve out. It looks like in his pics the inner sleeve is in place still but the other baffle is gone.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i think he had much better tools than me, from what i've heard most take a super long drill bit to that style.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i can remember doing my 04 650vtwin somewhat simular i used a 1/2in bit 13in long and drilled 8 holes in a circle through all the baffles, and left all the baffles in the muffler.
if you remove the baffles you wont have any back pressure and lose low end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts