Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Better late than never, I finally got my hands on one to check out. Honestly the castings and machine work are beautiful.
Here are a couple pictures with my guess to how it works. The water marks are my little experiment to see how far these pics travel around the internet.

Cover off, spring out shows the bolts holding the spider on, and holes that the weights come through

Plastic washer that spring cover hits at full shift, to keep sheaves from wearing on each other

Spider off, shows the snap ring that the plastic washer rests on, and the steel nut that retains the idler bearing, and gives the spider a place to bolt to

Closer view of the spider, the buttons are in their own little carrier, that rides on a pin, retained by a roll pin

Bottom view of the spider, the carrier for the buttons is free to move on its pin, and the rollers are easily changed by removing a small retaining screw

The weight, washers, retaining screw, and pin. The bushing, and roller surface are quite wide. Notice the notch to clear a rib in the moveable sheave. This clutch is off an 800, and runs a 66g weight. The pivot pin is further from the crankshaft, allowing a lighter weight to apply the required force.

And a close up of the moveable sheave showing the casting rib that the weight notch goes around

·
Registered
56 Posts
Krom, is this something that can be retrofitted to other models? I have a 2018 turbo 998…. With a “not yet cracked “ primary. Lol. Was looking at the STM’s and the TAPP as a future replacement but I would assume this would be a cheaper alternative ?…. IF, it’s legit and will work? Your thoughts ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Excellent Krom!
No more grunt tool to remove spider?
I'm guessing the 6 spider fasteners are maybe 20ftlbs tops?
Looks like all wear items, buttons, rollers, etc, are much easier to service than before.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Krom - post that on H C S too. You know it will show up there anyway. Get the credit where due for posting.

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
Wow. Thanks Krom.
This thing is a whole new direction.
I really like how some of the parts are servicable. I'm also a fan of using lighter weights. I never liked throwing so much rotating weight.
The movable sheave and spyder are quite the assemblies. Interesting that it is actually lighter.
It is pretty cool to see one apart.

·
Administrator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Krom, is this something that can be retrofitted to other models? I have a 2018 turbo 998…. With a “not yet cracked “ primary. Lol. Was looking at the STM’s and the TAPP as a future replacement but I would assume this would be a cheaper alternative ?…. IF, it’s legit and will work? Your thoughts ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will be a direct bolt on for a stock 998, ctec2 600, and 800. Can't say anything about the price or performance yet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It will be a direct bolt on for a stock 998. Can't say anything about the jprice or performance yet
Thanks for the info Krom, I was going to start a thread pertaining to the new primary...you beat me to it dude! Now I know what’s going to be driving my ‘22 Zr 600RR, no more belt dragging on the top of the brake calliper and belt tension will be maintained at all times. Sweet report and explanation of the new primary!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Well done and welcome back, Krom.
Maybe drop by FreedomSledder?

·
Administrator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope it's as durable as the Team primary...
Sure hope it isn't that bad. I've warrantied more of them than any other in the last 20 years.
First time I tried one it seized while the sled was warming up on the trailer. Ruined a weekend out of town

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
It will be a direct bolt on for a stock 998. Can't say anything about the jprice or performance yet
I might have to see if it will be a direct swap for an 2018 ZR8000

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
yup, will bolt right on using same weights and spring as a 2022
My understanding is that it is the same belt too. Is that correct?
I wonder if any changes would be needed in the secondary?

·
Administrator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yep, belt is the same part number but the factory recommends a new one, no other changes needed.
I'm not sure about the bolt and washer yet. Hopefully they will be shorter, but this is the only one I've seen

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep, belt is the same part number but the factory recommends a new one, no other changes needed.
I'm not sure about the bolt and washer yet. Hopefully they will be shorter, but this is the only one I've seen View attachment 368007
New clutch will make removing the belt easier, space between clutch and belly pan is more spacious…cool because l check my alignment every 3 times out. I doubt that my alignment bar will be of any use anymore, for a‘19 Zr 800; unless I can buy just a new plug.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It will be a direct bolt on for a stock 998, ctec2 600, and 800. Can't say anything about the price or performance yet.
Wonderful. I've had 3 cracked Team primaries in 6000 miles on '17 ZR9000! I hope this is the answer. Team recall and warranty claims must have finally hit home at Cat! Not to mention the most important issue which is all the exploded Team primaries where people have been hurt!!! The Consumer Product Safety Commission official actions (requiring Cat to address the exploding Team clutches) likely had an impact. Whatever it takes is my position. Let's hope this new clutch is better from a safety standpoint than the Team it replaces.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts