Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this historical info on johndee.com for snowfall totals in the UP of Michigan (Houghton area). See graph attached. Interesting that the lowest year ever was '57-'58 with 130 inches....aslo in '97-'98. The most snowfall ever was '78-'79 season with 354 inches of snow. In recent years....both '95-'96 and '00-'01 has greater than 300 inches of snow.

Looking at the statistics of this:

Average yearly snowfall: 211 inches
Standard Deviation: 50 inches

What this means is that on any given year, we should expect to see between 261 and 161 inches of snowfall.

Also....the trendline in the graph shows that total snowfall has actually statistically trended upwards over the years which was a bit surprising to me.

Anyway, thought this might be an interesting post with a little bit of fact. I am the first to admit that the late start to this winter really tweaked me.....but hopefully we still have a nice future for snowmobiling.

[attachment=63161:snow.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea, I live about 1 1/2 Hours from you in the thumb, We always seem to get less snow than you but sometimes we get Lake Effect, But nothing like New York right now, 8FT snow in a week, I think we should all take a road trip....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah....they really go ripped in NY. Bet the sledders are having fun in that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cc-rider @ Feb 9 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah....they really go ripped in NY. Bet the sledders are having fun in that.[/b]
Wouldnt doubt that a bit....

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (»Â°Ĉ« FĩŘЁ& @ Feb 9 2007, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yea, I live about 1 1/2 Hours from you in the thumb, We always seem to get less snow than you but sometimes we get Lake Effect, But nothing like New York right now, 8FT snow in a week, I think we should all take a road trip....[/b]

LOL,...hes talking about houghton area in the UP,
not houghton lake. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this theory doesn't sound good, but I believe that possibly the reason for that trend line going the way it does, is if we are warming up, the lakes stay un-frozen longer and longer, therefore more lake effect snow. And Houghton is in a Lake Effect area.
Just my .02

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I buy that there is global warming. I'm just not yet convinced that humans are the cause. The same hair brained geologist that say we're ruining the earth with our snowmobile exhaust also say that there has been numerous tropical and ice ages in the past. How did they happen without the evil automobile????

I guess what I'm saying is that the earth has its cycles and it is probably going to do as it wants regardless of what man is doing. I think we give ourselves too much credit for control of the earth and atmosphere. Mother nature has proved many times that it can take care of us real quick....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Funny you mention that 97-98 was a low year, because I was all excited for my first winter at Michigan Tech as a Freshman to have 250+ inches of snow. Turns out it was one of the lowest for a long time. Not that 150" wasn't great for riding but the year before they had to plow to football field to hold graduation in May!

BTW the earth has been warming up ever since the last ice age. Don't think we caused all of that.

We can't even get tomarrows temperature predicted right, what makes people think we can change the entire global temperature. M2C.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkd37 @ Feb 9 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Funny you mention that 97-98 was a low year, because I was all excited for my first winter at Michigan Tech as a Freshman to have 250+ inches of snow. Turns out it was one of the lowest for a long time. Not that 150" wasn't great for riding but the year before they had to plow to football field to hold graduation in May!

BTW the earth has been warming up ever since the last ice age. Don't think we caused all of that.

We can't even get tomarrows temperature predicted right, what makes people think we can change the entire global temperature. M2C.[/b]

97-98 was also my freshman year at tech.....what was your degree in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts