Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a 1998 zl 500 and it likes to run on one cylinder when I let it sit for a day and I go to start it the next day. After running on one cylinder it will fire on both and then it will be fine for the rest of the day. I looked at my fuel filter and it seems to have black specks in it. I got a new filter today and I will put it in tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.

After it has run for a little bit and I shut it off it doesn't like to start back up in one pull it usually takes three, and even then if you don't give it gas it will die. if i let it sit for an hour or two it will fire up on one pull.

it also idles really low. I have my idle set at 1500 rpm. It will idle at 1500 when the motor is cold but it idles at below a 1000 when warm. the carbs were cleaned before the season(fully taken apart). fuel pump has been rebuilt. I ran sea foam through it but any of these things don't seem to have solved the problem. any help is appreciated.

and last but not least is the bog that I have between 5000 and 7000 rpm. once it hits 7000 rpm it takes off. I have a clutch kit in it so that might be part of the problem. I really notice the bog if I steadily give it more gas because it bogs in the 5000 to 7000 rpm range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need more information, I will do my best to try and explain the problems the best I can.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has good spark. I think the chokes are set right. I will have to check the compression and see if there is a change from when it's cold to when it's warm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@ J-D, Let me know what you find out. I have a 99 ZL500 Carb. sled with the same bog problem from 5000 - 7000 RPM. Otherwise mine seems to idle and start fine any and all the time. It would be nice to figure out this bog issue.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ J-D, Let me know what you find out. I have a 99 ZL500 Carb. sled with the same bog problem from 5000 - 7000 RPM. Otherwise mine seems to idle and start fine any and all the time. It would be nice to figure out this bog issue.
Are you running stock clutching??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can try adjusting your carb needles, It controls midrange throttle. Try dropping them down one one position (move the clip up one position) Warning! This will make you run a bit leaner in the midrange position, so be sure to check your plugs and piston wash when you do this.

As far as the starting issues, make sure your spark plug caps are clean and tight and that your wires are good, you can try clipping off a half inch at the boot end and then screwing the plug boots back on. It could be you have a poor connection there due to corrosion that gets better when warmed up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can try adjusting your carb needles, It controls midrange throttle. Try dropping them down one one position (move the clip up one position) Warning! This will make you run a bit leaner in the midrange position, so be sure to check your plugs and piston wash when you do this.

As far as the starting issues, make sure your spark plug caps are clean and tight and that your wires are good, you can try clipping off a half inch at the boot end and then screwing the plug boots back on. It could be you have a poor connection there due to corrosion that gets better when warmed up.
Ok, i will see what happens if I adjust the carb needles. I think its running rich cause it smokes a lot. I will check the caps too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know the chokes are suppose to start you right up but you may want to consider a push pull primmer kit, but like they said check compression.
Considering the temps this weekend you might want to run a little fat on the jetting this weekend.
Check the deflection on the clutches. With the belt on the clutches,put a straight edge on top of the belt then push down firmly on the belt with a ruler or another straight edge. It should be between 1-1 1/4 from the straight edge going from clutch to clutch.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I moved the needle. I seemed like it was more snapping in the lower rpm but there is still a bog. but it idles better and it starts right back up in one pull. the plugs aren't really oily anymore. what is the ideal plug color? it isn't really normal riding conditions today since it is 40 degrees. I will have to see how it runs tomorrow, when the temperature is in the teens.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just tested the compression tonight. It's 113-115 on the right side. 110 on the left side. this is when the motor is cold. I will test it when the motor is warm tomorrow and see what the result is. So when the temperature gets colder I want to have richer mix but when the temp is warmer I want to lean it out? or do I have it backwards?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help guys! i moved the needle and she runs a alot better in the midrange. a lot snapper and smoother. fixed the idle probably by messing the fuel air screw. it start up on one pull when warm too. so thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts