Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 feet of dry powder, it just doesnt get any better!

[attachment=66895:DSC03146.JPG]

[attachment=66898:DSC03142.JPG]

[attachment=66899:DSC03143.JPG]

[attachment=66900:DSC03145.JPG]

[attachment=66901:porup.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
My kids are in BC right now for the March break. I talked to my son yesterday and I asked him if he done any sledding in the mountains, he's so pissed that no one he is visiting is into sleds. He seen all kinds of videos and stuff and the poor kid hasn't had a chance to experience that yet. Hey Helgy, why don't you take my kid out on the sled for a day......... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThunderStruck @ Mar 19 2007, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My kids are in BC right now for the March break. I talked to my son yesterday and I asked him if he done any sledding in the mountains, he's so pissed that no one he is visiting is into sleds. He seen all kinds of videos and stuff and the poor kid hasn't had a chance to experience that yet. Hey Helgy, why don't you take my kid out on the sled for a day......... :thumbsup:[/b]
I`ll make you a deal, you get him to Stewart, and I`ll make sure he gets the mountain experience he wants! Where is he?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Do you think you will still have enough snow for this?

[attachment=66909:post_289...15_thumb.jpg] slaphappy slaphappy slaphappy

The pics are awesome. I only viewed snow depths like this in the movies.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KevinS @ Mar 19 2007, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How does the roof of the shack not collapse from the weight of all that snow?[/b]

It looks like an A frame style... which keeps the dead load (weight) of snow off the roof.

I just noticed the sled through the window outside. My question is how do you climb to the top to go for a ride. Also, Do you carry snowshoes and safety gear whenever you go out? It looks like a lot of fun but I saw in one of your other posts it can be quite serious as well. :lovewinter:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Mar 19 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KevinS @ Mar 19 2007, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does the roof of the shack not collapse from the weight of all that snow?[/b]

It looks like an A frame style... which keeps the dead load (weight) of snow off the roof.

I just noticed the sled through the window outside. My question is how so you climb to the top to go for a ride. Also, Do you carry snowshoes and safety gear whenever you go out? It looks like a lot of fun but I saw in one of your other posts it can be quite serious as well. :lovewinter:
[/b][/quote]

We all have avalanche, and safety gear, but no snowshoes. There are always enough of us that we can get out if there are problems, without hiking.
The cabin was built by prospectors in the late 30s or early 40s as a place to sleep and eat, there is an old mine right behind it that can be accessed in the summer. The cabin was abandoned until around 10 years ago when the club started fixing it up. It is built really strong, or it would have been crushed like all the other abandoned buildings in the area were. Heres what it looks like in the summer.

[attachment=66915:DSC02366.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Helgy,

That's pretty impressive for a gable roof to support the weight of all of that snow. Do you have any interior pics.

Awesome job on the repairs (1930s WOW!). The folding ladder looks like a 16-17'... which I would guess that the cabin has a loft or 2nd floor as well.

Thanks for the update and the pics. It's great to see what a real winter looks like. :thumbsup:

Ron

I just looked at the summer pic again... I would guess it is only 10' to the bottom of the gable. Brain Cramp... plywood T&G is only 8'. I still appreciate the pics.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cabin is on top of a hill, with a drop-off to a creek beside it, a lot of the snow blows off. Its not a good spot to estimate the snowpack. Its been up to the bottom of the upstairs window since mid November.

·
Registered
565 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (helgy @ Mar 19 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThunderStruck @ Mar 19 2007, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids are in BC right now for the March break. I talked to my son yesterday and I asked him if he done any sledding in the mountains, he's so pissed that no one he is visiting is into sleds. He seen all kinds of videos and stuff and the poor kid hasn't had a chance to experience that yet. Hey Helgy, why don't you take my kid out on the sled for a day......... :thumbsup:[/b]
I`ll make you a deal, you get him to Stewart, and I`ll make sure he gets the mountain experience he wants! Where is he?
[/b][/quote]
That offer is too good to be true, and there's only three problems with that plan. My son is is Chilliwack, which is a long way from Stewart, I believe and he's only 9 years old and his Grand-ma thinks sleds are for the devil, little does she know that there isn't any ice in hell............ :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts