Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99'ZRT 800, that i haven't used in 2 years. It has 12,500 miles on it. We went riding this past Fri-Sat in lower Mich. Had to use it as a backup sled, and it would not run. I keep it in a heated pole barn and every year i summerize it, and so on.... I started it up thurs., no problem, in the heated pole barn, took it out and ran it on my buddy's 5 acre lot and it ran like a raped ape, before I loaded it in my enclosed trailer. Saturday, I went to start it, and it would not have it! I changed the plugs and it still would not fire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have always been able to start this sled, I called it old reliable! My buddy said he had a problem starting it last year when the machine got cold..........

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Did you clean the carbs and put in fresh gas in it, even if it was summerized the carbs should still be cleaned IMO. You say it would not "fire" did you mean that it wouldn't fire or was there no spark? If there was spark how about fuel? Possibly the choke isn't working properly and that is what causes it to not start when it gets cold?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Back to the basics; fuel, spark, and compression. I'll assume compression is good. When you pull a plug, do you get spark when you yank the pull cord? If so, do you see fuel on the plug/smell fuel in the exhaust? My brother has some issues on his ZRT600 with a faulty ignition switch. Once bypassed, the ZRT600 fired right up - no warning, worked great one minute, dead the next. Simple $20 part bypassed with a small piece of copper wire/electrical tape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had two problems with mine so far........1- gas froze up. Put it in the heat for a while and it was fine...added alcohol antifreeze and problem gone.

2- kill switch on handlebar went bad.......jumped it and problem solved

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Pull the plugs and spray WD-40 or carb cleaner in each cyl. Crank the plugs back in and giver a pull. If it starts this will mean you have a fuel problem. I like the ice idea but here in MN we have Ethenol gasoline so we don't have any iceing conserns. If you have iceing don't forget the impulse line and fuel pump.

Auggie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts