Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, long story short, rebuilt my wife's ZRT last year, ran it for a day before it lost spark. Well, decided to start tearing into it last weekend. Unfortunately, found that the mag side cylinder is leaking coolant around the head. Motor has less than 100 miles on a fresh rebuild. I've rebuilt countless motors, so I knew what I was doing. That's not to say the o ring didn't get pinched, but it never leaked a drop during the ride I took with it, So I'm kinda leaning against that possibility? Either way, the head will be pulled, and am tempted to pull all three. My question is is there any aftermarket manufacturer that sells JUST the head o rings? Or am I stuck paying OEM prices and/ or buying a whole top end gasket kit? I'd rather not do either, because I have many other things that I could use the $60+ towards... I've done some searching and haven't come up with anything besides OEM. I plan on checking flatness of the heads and cylinders while in there, and if not flat, I'll throw them on my mill at work and make them flat!!:) Any info would be great!! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Hey folks, long story short, rebuilt my wife's ZRT last year, ran it for a day before it lost spark. Well, decided to start tearing into it last weekend. Unfortunately, found that the mag side cylinder is leaking coolant around the head. Motor has less than 100 miles on a fresh rebuild. I've rebuilt countless motors, so I knew what I was doing. That's not to say the o ring didn't get pinched, but it never leaked a drop during the ride I took with it, So I'm kinda leaning against that possibility? Either way, the head will be pulled, and am tempted to pull all three. My question is is there any aftermarket manufacturer that sells JUST the head o rings? Or am I stuck paying OEM prices and/ or buying a whole top end gasket kit? I'd rather not do either, because I have many other things that I could use the $60+ towards... I've done some searching and haven't come up with anything besides OEM. I plan on checking flatness of the heads and cylinders while in there, and if not flat, I'll throw them on my mill at work and make them flat!!:) Any info would be great!! Thanks!
Take it from someone who has been there and done that. BUY OEM!!! You WILL end up doing another rebuild sooner than you think. Not made out of the same material. I have already been through this with my Hooper 1050.
My money is a pinched O-ring. Take the O-rings out and wash in the sink with Dawn dish soap and let them sit outside in the sun for a day and they will shrink back down to fit the grooves. Pull the o-ring thru your fingers and if you feel any nicks in the o-ring throw it out and replace with new. Then hold head over installed O-rings and while holding head up screw two bolts in 90 degrees apart and let the head slide down the bolts evenly (parallel) until it sits on the O-rings and finger tighten them, install the other bolts. You will never pinch an O-ring again this way.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
tcat446
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing