Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble getting this sled to run right. I've thrown a bunch of parts at it, and it wants to run but not quite there yet. Here's what Ive got into it.
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Fuel filters
Spark plugs
Computer
Throttle body boot

I've gotten it to start and idle, but it idles at about 2500rpm, backfires, and it takes quite a few pulls to get it started. When I'm pulling on it, it'll fire but won't stay running, and it gets progressively better as I continue to pull on it. I didn't have the belt on so when it was idling I revved it and it would sputter then pick up again. There were also sparks coming out of the exhaust but it hasn't run in 10 years so I think it was just some gunk built up.. Anyways, my buddy says 'let's put the belt on and see if she rips' so we did, but now it won't start up again. Barley even fires until you wait a while for it to cool down.

No start when warm, hard start when cold, and high idle with backfire... Any ideas?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
First bypass the throttle safety switch (Google or Youtube search) and then test the stator with a multimeter. I can almost guarantee your problem lies there.

However, sparks in the exhaust is never a good thing so I hope you don't have internal damage.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Make sure nothing animal-like moved into exhaust after sitting for a while. Sparks could be the nest burning up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was either animal debris or oil.. I tried starting many times and never fired and some unburnt oil is in the exhaust. I tested the stator and it was within spec. The kill switch doesn't work so I unplugged it. I talked to my teacher (automotive service) and he thinks it could be a map sensor if the sled has one, but I don't know if it does or not haha. I've been reading through other threads with similar issues and the only one I saw that had any relies said the throttle position sensor could be suspect..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
When you did the fuel lines, did you check the smart valves in the tank? Sitting so long those screens could be plugged or deteriorated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Mitchr97
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing