Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I just bought a second hand, 99 ZR 700, The sled is in great shape!. However the lights dont work and the kill switch is "on is off" and " off is on"????

The same for the key switch... It looks like someone messed with the wiring to the kill and key switch... The question is.. I have 3 wires from the kill switch (Violet, Brown, YELLOW) according to the wire diagram its only 2 wires (violet and brown) brown being a common ground and violet is ignition shut off.. So I dont know what the yellow one from my kill switch button is for? (tho it states that the yellow wires in the system are a 13 volt wire) BUT the kill switch diagram shows only 2 wires not 3 which I have. Sooo. Not sure if this makes any sence to anyone... if so PLEASE HELP ME!!! LOL!...
Thanks Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I just bought a second hand, 99 ZR 700, The sled is in great shape!. However the lights dont work and the kill switch is "on is off" and " off is on"????

The same for the key switch... It looks like someone messed with the wiring to the kill and key switch... The question is.. I have 3 wires from the kill switch (Violet, Brown, YELLOW) according to the wire diagram its only 2 wires (violet and brown) brown being a common ground and violet is ignition shut off.. So I dont know what the yellow one from my kill switch button is for? (tho it states that the yellow wires in the system are a 13 volt wire) BUT the kill switch diagram shows only 2 wires not 3 which I have. Sooo. Not sure if this makes any sence to anyone... if so PLEASE HELP ME!!! LOL!...
Thanks Pete
Hello Pete,
you have the wiring diagrams? if you want I can send files taken from the PDF (protected) manual using print screen (i do not think they can publish)
It is important to know the exact model of snowmobile you own because there are many diagrams also indicate the colors of the wires.
Hello, Fabio.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sounds like someone has been playing with it. The older sleds used close wiring instead open loop (or vice versa). Sounds like someone put older style key and kill switch on it, or, more likely, blew the motor and put an older one in it with the older electronics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Fabio and Dave 36!! Fabio YES I will take whatever digram you can spare!!! From what I know Its a 1999 ZR 700 with no rev/elec,start... I just got back to Afghanistan today, so Im not near the sled. I figured it would be a summer fix when I return home. Dave... He did redo the top end. I dont think the engine was replace. Also before I left, what I did do was disconect the 3 wire at the switch and it still fired up with the key in the wrong position!!???..So now im just racking my head to figure out whats up.. Any help will be greatly appriceated!!!
Thanks Pete!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Dave36... OH! the other strange thing is,the right side carb has a TPS (throttle position sensor) on it with nothing pluged into it..????? is that right? (I dont think so) but im not to upto date on the ZR 700. It runs great..... so im not sure on that too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
99 ZR elecrical diagrams

These schemes should be the correct ones in your ZR, I have the same problem of the key on my sled, I think it was replaced with a wrong: the original in "off" position (pull-key) is closed contacts, in position "run" contacts are open.
The diagrams show the original colors (in my PS 700 LE are the same) also the throttle position sensor is connected as shown in the diagram engine.
I hope you come back soon in the snow.
Hi Fabio.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
In the third picture (coming from CDI) you can see the plug that goes into the TPS. You handlebar throttle control switch should only have 2 wires coming out. maybe someone changed it up with an 01 or up that split in half making it easier to put on. The 99 did not split and the handwarmer and grip have to be removed to install. You have an open ignition so engine will run when you unplug the key or kill switch.

Post the number that is stamped on the CDI and we will start from there. I will look at mine, it has an update CDI but I still have the old one.

I have about 8000 miles on mine, actually it was the wife's and now my son has started riding it every weekend. Added reverse, fuel gauge, picks and luggage rack/backrest. I know every inch of this sled and had 700's before this one.

I have included an article about the sled you might like

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Thunder!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!! Im in Afghanistan at the moment. I will be back in the states next month. I will get the info on that CDI for ya.
Take care
Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts