Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 99 zr 700. Is there anything I should be worried about on these sleds? Don't see alot of the 700 around. more zr 600 then anything else. Any info would be great help.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Bone stock they are slow and a pig on fuel.................however the fix is both cheap and easy.

-be sure it's had the updated CDI
-updated needle position
-install 2000 700 gearing
-gut the air box (shelf and horns out)
-Goodwin clutch kit

The thing becomes an animal that will see in about 9-10 mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 700 is a cylinder reed engine, kind of a dying breed, so to speak. The case reed
design is supposed to be so much better. But take a look at the PSI Performance web
site. They are now making a cylinder reed engine and speak of the advantages of that
design. Specfically, a stronger push of the fuel/air mix into the transfer ports.
Properly set up, the 700 cylinder reed suzi does pull hard. But when leaning it out, watch
your plugs and wash closely. I have seized more than one piston in mine running too
close to the edge. Probably why they are jetted so rich from the factory and suck so
much fuel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
yeah psi wants you to chop your nuts out and sell them to afford their big bore kit for it. the 700 is a strong motor because of the torque, the HP is low compared to todays 700s but torque is above most because of the juice can sized pistons in the motor. for trail riding, you can't have much more fun than the freddy kruger motor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts