Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a chance to take out my machine last night for a very short little rip. Was wondering what the max rpm should be for my 99 ZR7. No mods to the engine but I have a Black Magic clutch kit on it. I like how it performs but I think the rpms may be a bit high on shift out.

Engages @ 5200 rpms

Full shift out holds steady and does not drop @ 8350 rpms.

It backshifts nicely....all around works really good. Just don't want to be over shooting my power peak for the motor and really don't want to over rev it continuously. Pulls really hard through 0 mph to prob 100 or so mph. My book say's 7800 to 8200 max rpms. Maybe BM knows something cat doesn't? (or cat does and just want's to tame it down a bit because of the reliability issues of the older ZR7's) I did hear these were really detuned because of the older ones.

What do ya think? Prob put a call out to BM later today.

Thanks guys

SPDFREEK

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
When I put the B/M kit on my 99 ZR700, (stock piped engine) it ran at 8100 rpms and engaged at 4600 ( the kit was #80-2035). 8350 is absolutely perfect for twin pipes but not for your single. You are running the stock single arent you? Sounds like your weight are hanging up a little. Make sure you can spin the pins that the weights pivot on with your fingers.(clutch spring has to be off for this) Loosen them up and see if your rpms drop some. If you have to, use a drill with a 1/4 inch adapter and a torx bit in it and spin your pins till they are good and loose. New bushings are sometimes very tight and this makes your weights act lighter than they really are which will result in an over revving engine. 8350 wont hurt your engine at all. You might just lose a little power because your going over the single pipes powerband. If you do nothing to your clutch, it will probably wear in just fine after a few hunderd miles and your rpms will end up about right.
5200 is too high for engagment and B/M will tell you that also. They will more than likely tell you what I just told you, I got this info from them about 4 years ago. Let me know how it turns out.............tigger

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tigger I'll look into those pins. Great info. Got an e-mail out to BM so I'll wait to see what they say also.

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like all is well. BM says I am right in there with 8350 rpms. Man those guys are great to work with. Got an email back pronto and man does this kit work well.

Tigger...maybe it will come down a bit when the weights bushings work in. They seem pretty free floating....maybe just a touch of drag....I mean just a touch though. Thanks fot the input on this. Best site and best people by far are on Arcticchat.

Later all.

SPDFREEK

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
Let me know how it works out after 200/300 miles. I have always had good success with Black Magic. Do you have the stock pipe on it?
I have B/M twins and I couldnt be happier with the way it runs........tigger

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have the stock pipe and silencer. Been tossing the twin idea around in my head.....er....my fiance's head. Gotta pass it by the boss first. LOL

I hear twins are a great improvement. My old 94 ZR 700 had the factory twins and man that thing was a different animal all together.

I'll let ya know if it drops after a few 100 miles or so.

Thanks again Tigger.

SPDFREEK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The twin pipes really awaken that engine. My dad has a 95 zr 700 and I have a 99 zr 700. We both have the same porting, timing, both 144 tracks, clutching and everything except he has psi twins and I have the stock with a snow stuff can and as far as power he destroys me would never guess so much is the same. I am probebly 50 lbs ligther as well. He revs about 8400 with the clutching and I run about 8100.

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
bump for this subject for newbie motoxxx

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
What is your clutch set -up? helix angle? weights? springs??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts