Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to your site.

My son recently purchased a 1999 ZR 600 carbs with 115 psi compression and 5000k. The guy he bought it from claimed he had trail ridden it for the last two years, and the driven clutch was from a 1996 thundercat. Upon inspection the driven clutch was only opening about 3/4". Cleaned clutches, carbs, replaced incorrect plugs and it woke right up. Problem is at 6200 sled tries to shift but can't. My son is 6'3" 270lbs. The clutching was stock, yellow/white spring, 48.5 weights, 4500 engagement primary. yellow spring and 51 helix secondary. we changed the driven spring to red and max preload which sees to have changed the shift to 7000. We have no snow, so tuning is a problem. expecting some tonight. Sled will RPM to 8700 with stock pipe and canister, with track off the ground. The belt is bottomed out in the secondary at 5000k even with the red spring. we were thinking purple spring on the primary and green on the secondary? are we on the right track?I dunno

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Put everything to stock and then you can work on the problem. It sounds like you are low on power or your clutches are not working as they should. If it is running 8700 when on a stand and 6200 undr load you have a power issue not a clutch issue at this point. You may be short on fuel, you may have a bad stator, You may have a partially blocked exhaust, etc, etc. Until you can make stock clutching work you cannot make a sled do other things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New to your site.

My son recently purchased a 1999 ZR 600 carbs with 115 psi compression and 5000k. The guy he bought it from claimed he had trail ridden it for the last two years, and the driven clutch was from a 1996 thundercat. Upon inspection the driven clutch was only opening about 3/4". Cleaned clutches, carbs, replaced incorrect plugs and it woke right up. Problem is at 6200 sled tries to shift but can't. My son is 6'3" 270lbs. The clutching was stock, yellow/white spring, 48.5 weights, 4500 engagement primary. yellow spring and 51 helix secondary. we changed the driven spring to red and max preload which sees to have changed the shift to 7000. We have no snow, so tuning is a problem. expecting some tonight. Sled will RPM to 8700 with stock pipe and canister, with track off the ground. The belt is bottomed out in the secondary at 5000k even with the red spring. we were thinking purple spring on the primary and green on the secondary? are we on the right track?I dunno

Stock helix is 51, but u can put a 53 or a 55, the 55 shifts faster
Primary clutch spring is a yellow/white note this means that it’s yellow with a white stripe on it
Secondary clutch spring is a yellow not place it on the mittle setting hole on the roller face plate.
you allready have the proper weights so your good there
good luck, message me back

Good tip for you, as aftermarket can adds an additional 10 horsepower, mine is a snostuff rumble pack, it is highly recommended.

Oh one more thing, you said that your engine compression is only 15 psi, well the engine psi should be more then that like 20-25 psi, that could be one of your power problems, you need a ring and piston job done, I had one done on mine and she ran like a champ even better then original because I put high performance pistons and rings. Well you at it get you crank shaft and the rest of the engine checked for any other leaks or problems.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts

Good tip for you, as aftermarket can adds an additional 10 horsepower, mine is a snostuff rumble pack, it is highly recommended.
Bought into the propaganda!!! 10 hp. No way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought into the propaganda!!! 10 hp. No way.

Way, it does, I didn’t believe it at first but then I called arctic cat and snostuff and they both said the same thing an aftermarket can does in fact add 10 hp

It works that same why an aftermarket exhaust would work on a vehicle, it enhances the performance and adds horsepower.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Like I said, put everything to stock and get it up to power. Even if a aftermarket can does give you extra you are putting a band aide on a broken leg. fix the problem. I would say if you used the stock can you are more than likely going to have 2 to 3 more hp than aftermarket. Rumble pack says you could gain 2 or 3, but most dyno testing has proven otherwise. jb, it's kool-aid not propaganda. You have to drink the kool-aid.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I just took the sno stuff rumble pack can in the attached picture off of my 98 zr600 and can tell you from personal experience that there is no way it adds 10 horsepower. If you believe it, then so be it. Maybe you want to buy the one I took off. It is for sale in the classifieds.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
It may not give you anymore HP but it sure looks and sounds cool. I put the OEM one back on and threw the can it in the scrap metal.

P.S. it makes the rest of the scrap metal look cool.
:rofl: Not worthy:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Stock helix was a 53 least in my 98 LE it was. Most arctic cat sleds came factory with a 53. i use to pull 54 gram weights in mine kept the RPM down to 8500. 8800 is too high I think. 48.5 grams is light they came factory light it should work with that in there. The rest of the clutching sounds right. check and see if that back torque motor mount bracket isn't broke. sleds where famous for that. That will give you issues on the clutching not working correct. Under load the motor will twist and you belt wont pull down in your secondary. Almost like what you talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm haveing problems with my clutches I just put new weights and pins had a red spring in it fra clutch I bought used sled is only doing 20mph but tacking right out. Has no snap to it I'm wondering if I should try the same thing.clutch weights being guaged caused me to blow a piston and jug. Is their any diffrence in the clutch on a 440 or 500. Guy told me clutch was off the same sled but the spring colors where different. I have taken excellent care of her and I'm dieing to ride

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed piston and jug in my 98zr le 600. Clutch weights where guaged is why she blew changed them bought a used clutch with a red spring and sled will only do 20mph but is tacking right out. Every way I've tryed it red spring yellow their is little diffference itts missing her snap.any ideas I'm still learning I was told the clutch came off the identical sled. Why was their a diffrence in spring color then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.