Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new here.
i picked up a 99 zr440 sno pro not knowing at the time that they were junk motors...
i got it from a guy a few miles from home so i drove it home...it died in my yard and wouldnt start....im an auto technition and have done plenty of small engines work so i went threw everything....everything!!!

i put new pisons & gaskets in it(cylinders were OKish)
went over the carbs (needs needles & seats)(310 mains 22.5 pilots)
went over oil injection & fuel pump(all new fuel lines and filter)
went threw the power valves(seem to be working now)
new plugs
fresh 91oct. & oil

now it has a mind of its own...sometimes it runs ok but it wont start worth a crap and wont idle, other times it revs up completely on its own and if i dont kill it it keeps going(i've never let it go more then 6k)
i havent drove it at all sence i drove it home...with the engine reving like that it seems like a bad idea
so if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong help would be nice.
Or should i cut my losses and motor swap it? how much would that cost?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Those motors did have powervalve issues (first addition) if you didn't maintain them, but I don't believe they were ever known to be junk. They are a strung out little 440 putting out a lot of power for their size. Anyways, it revving up sounds like it's sucking in air somewhere. Where the cases properly sealed (if opened)? Carb boots okay? I know they're probably obvious things you've checked out, but you never know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carb boots are cracked up but only on the outside
when i had it running i sprayed starting fluid everywhere in hopes of finding the leak but with little luck...seemed like maybe basegasket so i sprayed "copper spray-a-gasket" on it. seemed to help a little but today it was back to revving on its owen
is there a better way to check the case for leaks?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Spray ether or something like that around the seals and case seems,boots, anywhere air could conceivably get in. It should rev up if you hit a leak.

·
5,963 Posts
when I got mine It was the same way. It sat for 3+ years and everything was In rough shape. Check all your wiring to make sure you are not shorting somewhere. I Replaced all my grounds and the Problem went away. Mine would Start to idle up and keep going and going. This is also When I found out the Teather and the Kill switch didn't work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Choke lever is busted(waiting on a new one)
Interesting....im not sure how that could make it rev like that but i'll take a look
Mine has also been sitting for 2 years

·
5,963 Posts
the only other things affecting it could be Clutching, carbs and Intake. Did you make sure there was no mouse nests or anything? Powervalves clean? Timing Dial on -1 or 0? Hot/Cold switch on Cold? No Broken Reeds? Just things on the Top Of my head. If I were to do it again. I would Go through the Motor and do the bottom end seals for the insurance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clutching could affect that?....what rpm should that engage? Mine doesnt engage untill about 5500-6000
Timing is 0 or -1 idk what one..
I cleaned the power valves
I tried the hot/cold switch both ways..what does that do? Adjust timing?
Reeds are vforce 3's they look new.
Are the bottom end seals common because thats what ive been begining to suspect

·
5,963 Posts
Well when they sit for a while they dry Rot. Hold cold switch was for racing. Leave it on Cold. Timing should be at Zero or -1 and ONLY adjust it WHILE RUNNING. The clutching would only effect it if it was Badly hanging up. and I mean Badly. I highly doubt that is the Problem but Have seen it happen. reeds should not have any Chips in the Pedels or any thing

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 94 440z. The engine is great! 130psi compression both cylinders. If the choke is broke you could be feeding excess gas into engine? It's really not a "choke" on these carbs since it doesn't restrict air flow, but instead just floods the cylinder with gas when the choke is on.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have 94 440z. The engine is great! 130psi compression both cylinders. If the choke is broke you could be feeding excess gas into engine? It's really not a "choke" on these carbs since it doesn't restrict air flow, but instead just floods the cylinder with gas when the choke is on.
Your engine is about as similar to his as an 800 tripple

·
5,963 Posts
lol!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok good to know on the hot cold switch...
Only while running? The last site i was was on said only when off??

·
5,963 Posts
the dial adjuster that has -3 to +3 must only be adjusted while running

·
5,963 Posts
Say if it was on 0 and you ajusted it to -1 while off, it will stay at 0 No matter what.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway to reset it? Cuz when i got the sled it was on +2 i think so i moved it not running because thats what a different site said
Where an i get those crank case seals? Didnt find any on ebay...dealer only? Or is there a different name for them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts