Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 ZL 500 efi with 1500 miles on it. I rode 100 miles yesterday and the had the oil reservoir full before i took off, the low oil light came on the last 15 miles of the trip. I checked the oil and couldn't believe how much I used. Anyone have similar problems or ideas on what it could be. I can't believe the engine is already going bad with only 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same sort of issue, it’s using way too much oil smoking like a chimney smells super hot and the oil light came on! Wtf? Somebody HELPn

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pump may need to be replaced. When the pump goes bad, it goes fail-safe meaning it will over-oil instead of starve the engine of oil.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Pump may need to be replaced. When the pump goes bad, it goes fail-safe meaning it will over-oil instead of starve the engine of oil.
Wow- I'm not sure where you got any of that information.... LOL- First of all, y'all are posting on a thread from 2009. Before you make the assumption that the oil pump needs to be replaced, you need to look at a couple of things:

1: Is the cable going to the oil pump simply stuck holding the pump wide open? Common issue and the most likely culprit.
2. At wide open throttle, do the index marks line up? It isn't unusual for someone to attempt to "adjust" the pump and screw up the indexing.

Check these 2 things first before making any other assumptions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just trying to help. Thought it was common knowledge. Have you seen pumps fail where they didn’t go full rich? It’s the only way I’ve seen them go.
I said his pump MAY be bad, I never said it was for sure there Buddy o pal. But I agree, check the cable first and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Incorrect. The Mikuni pumps of that vintage close by default.

The control arm is spring loaded as to return the pump to the idle position when the throttle cable is released.

·
Registered
78 Posts
True but you’re talking about a cable failure.
I’m talking about a pump failure where as the internal tolerances of the cam and piston in the pump wear out, the pump starts to get richer over time.
It’s rare for these pumps to wear out but crazy things do happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts