Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seezed up piston on clutch side, Took head off, Piston rounded off on exhaust side, Jug has aluminum from the piston stuck on it . The piston pin was blue ( got hot ? ) and hard to get off. Don't know to much about it but seems to me that it was not getting enough lucubration. How can i test the oil pump to see if it is working properly. Can i test it with the jug off ? Would appreciate any help ???????? I dunno

·
Registered
55 Posts
well your gonna rebuild that top end anyways so you will run a tank of pre mix for break in. durring that tank of fuel (mixed 50:1) top off you oil resi and verify that it is being used while operating. could be the brand of oil you used as opposed to not enough could be it wasnt warmed up enough mabye a ring broke but Id say use SPI piston kit (Eby) and new top bearing. I removed the aluminum from nicasil bores before with a scotch brite pad muratic acid i hear works too.
but when you have the carbs off and new pistons in the cleaned of replaced bores with or with out heads on but def plug out. pull it over and look at the oil tube(brass) as you pull it over you should see drops of oil form and holding the throttle w/o will put your lever at full output.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
you use a flow tester on the pump. there is spec for it. Your ring locator pin probably came out and trashed everything. Common with the 600

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do. Ill try that after i rebuild the top end. Just another thing i did was about 200 miles ago i did change to semi synthetic Arctic Cat Oil. The guy told me try not to mix it , so i sucked out as much as i could ? Maybe it did'nt like that oil ? Don't know if i should keep using it, or should i go back to regular 2 cycle oil I dunno

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did change out both intake boots last year, I did check the clamps before I took the jug off, and was able to tighten both of them a little but not to much. there was no cracks in them at all. I dunno What about the change in oil, About 200 mi ago I changed from Arctic Cat 2 cycle,to Arctic Cat semi-synthetic, Should I go back ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts