Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all this is my first post on this and ive checked out other posts for info with no luck. I have a 98 zr efi i have already replaced the stator last weekend went out got about 50 miles and the sled misses and has backfired and then just dies but only when it gets hot. Im lost if i let the sled sit for 5 or 10 minutes it will restart if i dont let it sit it wont start it will fire a few times and thats all i dont know if the rebuilt stator is bad or what it is ive donr the ohms tests on it but it shows good does onybody have any help on this matter?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey there welcome call I would take all connections apart, clean, and put back together use dielectric grease on connections after you get er goin. but I would check sensor in airbox for resistance and cleanliness(carb spray) also check temp sensors for resistance. make sure yellow wire out of ecm is connected when disconnected acts like full choke. so if you ever run er out of gas unplug that yeller wire when trying to get fuel system re primed (fyi)
have you checked resistance on stator when hot and acting up could be cracked or broken wire that shrinks and reconnects when cold. post yer findings, Happy Wrenchin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all wires are connected but i didnt check the stator hot ill try that tommorrow but does this sled have a temp sensor shut down if the sled gets to hot? do you just spray the carb clean right in the air box on the sensor without removing it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure if theyll shut down when hot i don't think so90% sure all it does is kick yer temp light on. but , yeah just spray right in there till its clean then clean out air box. I do know that if these sleds ecm senses major problem they go into "limp home" mode Not sure what happens but guessing limits your rpms. Also check ALL grounds, just curious what plugs yer runnin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im useing br9eya but i think i found the problem i ran the sled until it got hot and shut off then unpluged the stator wires and did an ohms check and the triger coil only had 32.1 ohms and the charge coil had 618 ohms so back to stator corp it goes this stator only had maybe 50 miles on it since they rebuilt it this is starting to get to be a pia but my buddy and i are getting to be real pros at fixing these sleds thanks for the help ill post back with the results on the final outcome

·
Registered
103 Posts
In reading about other problems similar a guy said to drill holes in the stator housing and space out recoil to help keep the stator cool maybe you can find it or i'll look now and direct you to it he claimed zero stator problems after and a guy I know from cat says the same thing the stators go from too much heat .i'll find that post and get back to you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
go to bottom post on top of first page post by BRAAAP " 99zl600efi stator again" he's got pics of what to do good luck and Happy Wrenchin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.