Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my zr seems to smoke alot not just when i first start it but i ran it at idle foir about 20 minutes and it wouldnt stop i havent had a chance to acually ride it yet so im not sure what it will do when i get on the trail but do all zr's smoke alot? what are some things i can do to stop it?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ya might have to turn your oil pump down just a little,not a big deal just dont turn it down to much,oil is cheaper than a rebuild Cat happy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Nov 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ya might have to turn your oil pump down just a little,not a big deal just dont turn it down to much,oil is cheaper than a rebuild Cat happy[/b]
how do you turn your oil pump down exactly? i just rebuilt the top end and the sheet that came with the pistons told me to run my first tank of gas 50:1 mix so im going to let that run through before i start messing with anything

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since your running pre-mix in your tank, your going to have more smoke than normal. I wouldn't worry about it. You can check to see if your oil pump is adjusted to specs. Full throttle and the line on the lever should match the line on the housing.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acfireman @ Nov 12 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Nov 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya might have to turn your oil pump down just a little,not a big deal just dont turn it down to much,oil is cheaper than a rebuild Cat happy[/b]
how do you turn your oil pump down exactly? i just rebuilt the top end and the sheet that came with the pistons told me to run my first tank of gas 50:1 mix so im going to let that run through before i start messing with anything
[/b][/quote]

With oil in the gas and feeding from the injection pump you will be 25:1 or less, this will make lots of smoke

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ya you will be smoking alot if your pre mix ,ya didnt say that right away that will make the old girl smoke ,like they said dont worry about it Cat happy

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Running lots of oil leans out the engine, it does not richen the fuel mixture. Extra oil is good for breaking in a fresh rebuild and so is extra fuel. I'm assuming it is a carb and the smoking is most likely it being over rich because it is warm out. Smokey exhaust is way more often from an overly rich fuel mixture than it is from a little too much oil. Don't be concerned about it until it is cold, but then you'll have to differentiate between normal exhaust and smokey exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts