Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just like the title says the wife's ZR600 is throwing on the temp light. Wife had the sled out all afternoon without issue. I decided to go for a ride and put on 15 miles without issue being pretty hard on it at times. sled was running great. Stopped at a buddies place and BS'd for a while and left, after about 15-20 minutes of riding I noticed the temp light starting to flicker and finally turning on solid. I shut it down and look things over. Coolant was full, heat exchangers were only luke warm and nothing was out of place and no coolant was leaking. Let it sit for 5 minutes and gave it a try, made it about 1/8 mile driving nice and the light came back on so I shut it down again. At this point I sent my riding partner back to the house to get he trailer. I let it cool down for 15 minutes and tried again. Made it about 1/2 mile before the light came back on.

I haven't done anything yet and thought I would see if anybody had any suggestions before I tear into it. At this point my off hand guess is the the temp sensor, the t-stat, or the water pump. And likely testing and replacing in that order. Any help in how to test the sensor would be helpful. Any other suggestions are help full. FYI, snow conditions were decent, temp was in the 20s.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it common for the sensors to go out and trigger the light at a lower temp than normal? After sleeping on it I'm really thinking thermostat or water pump (which would suck). Atleast the stat and sensor are easy to work on and or replace!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll probably check both tonight, here's to hoping it's the sensor or t-stat!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The first thing I would do is ride it until the light comes on and make sure the coolant is circulating and then use a thermometer in the coolant reservoir. This will do a lot of trouble shooting for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, wouldn't that only narrow it down to the items I'm already at (T-stat stuck closed, water pump not working, or sensor)? I'm pretty sure it's not circulating as the heat exchangers are cool? I didn't think about it untill I got home but after I returned home and the sled had been off for 20 minutes or so I grabbed the hose off the thermostat housing which was still warm and then grabbed the hose down by the water pump which was stone cold. With that in mind my worst fear is the water pump but I think it's worth spending an hour to check the easy stuff first (T-stat & sensor). Feel free to school me if there's an easier or better way.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I would bite it and pull the pump apart. If it is the drive shaft gear that runs off the crank you will not be oiling either. There is a good chace your pump impellar is either wallowed out at the end of the shaft or the fins broke off. Even if the t-stat is stuck closed it should let some water by.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike, you know that's not what I want to hear although it's kind of what I expect. I bought this sled cheap and it needed some TLC. Of course at the time I looked it over it the chasiss and engine seem solid and all it needed was a little elbow grease and some cosmetic things. Looked like a steal! At this point I've put way more into it than originally intended. Of course the only thing I hadn't touched were the primary clutch, which was suppose to have been new, and the engine itself (although the stator gave me all kinds of problems). So much for that! I don't think I've put 500 miles on the sled since I bought it and I know I've got 10 times more hours working on it than riding it, #$!5 @#$^ #$% ^#&*!

Is it that common for the water pump and or drive system for the water pump to fail on these. Sled has 3400 miles on it which seems premature for this kind of failure if it turns out to be the water pump. I'll be checking the t-stat tonight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did some trouble shooting tonight and didn't accomplish anything. Put the thermostat on the stove in a pan of water with a thermometer. Stat began opening at 100 degrees and was opened pretty far at 140 degrees. Took it out of the water and shut just fine. Decided to run the sled with stat hose disconnected to see if I had any flow. Well, it didn't run 5 seconds and the reservoir was empty. Refilled with antifreeze (nose in the air) and ran sled for 10 minutes to see what was getting warm and what wasn't. Well everything warmed up just fine. Hose off the t-stat was the hottest although you could easily hold on to it. Hose between the reservoir and the engine was warm. Heat exchangers were nice and hot, actually far hotter than they were when the temp light came on. Temp light never came on while trouble shooting although I never left the garage and didn't actually ride it. Not sure what to think at this point. Water pump not keeping up when at speed? Don't know what else it would be. Sled never went into limp mode when the light came on however I caught it right away and shut it down each time. Any other thoughts? I guess I can always take it for a ride and see if it does it again. Don't know what else to do at this point.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I would still check the sending unit. Like I said, a bad sending unit does happen on occasion. My buddies Polaris 600 just this year had a bad sending unit. We didn't actually test it, but the sled was throwing the temp light constantly while riding. Coolers were warm, not hot, nothing felt abnormal, so we thought it may be the temp sensor. We were close to a Polaris dealer so we just bought one and a t-stat just in case. We put the sending unit on right there because it was easy and quick only losing a couple tablespoons of coolant. We figured we would put the t-stat on if the light kept coming on, but it never came on again the rest of the 3 day trip.

If I were you, I would either just replace the sending unit, or I would test it with a pot of water and an ohm meter. I would probably do the later because of no dealers close by. If I had a dealer close, I would just buy a new one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
County Cat ships quick, I'm sure I could have one by the weekend. Do you know what temp would trip the the light? Also when looking at the thermostat it appears the one that controls the light comes off the right side while the one that goes to the ECU is on the bottom. I assume I would simply be looking at the sending unit on the side of the housing?

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I began modding my ZRT the first thing I installed was a water temp gauge kit. Seems to me that would pretty usefull right now on the wifes ZR! Didn't think about putting one on here's as I know she'd never look at it. on the flip side it would make my trouble shooting pretty easy right now. Probablly well worth the $80!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I've had this same situation many times. In my case the problem is the wire connection to the temp sensor. When the wire gets loose on the stud and makes a poor connection the light comes on. Check the wire going to the sensor and make sure it stays in place. Free to check and free and easy to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts