Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make twin pipes for the ZR600EFI? Can you use the carb model pipes on an EFI? If not, why not? I have a boondocker unit...is it that why, such a unit is needed to match the new pipes?

And what do the chips actually do? Do they raise the rev limit, or change the whole fuel map?

And a timing key advances timing...producing what effect?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think Black Magic made the best twins for the 600 EFI. The twin pipes from a carb will be the same. The EFI chip remaps the fuel, there is no rev limiter on these sleds. If you are running twin pipes I would stay away from using a timing key - not worth the chance of a blown engine. I wasn't aware that a Boondocker could be used on the older EFI systems. I thought they were only for the newer models.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ludedude @ Jan 9 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone make twin pipes for the ZR600EFI? Can you use the carb model pipes on an EFI? If not, why not? I have a boondocker unit...is it that why, such a unit is needed to match the new pipes?

And what do the chips actually do? Do they raise the rev limit, or change the whole fuel map?

And a timing key advances timing...producing what effect?

Thanks in advance[/b]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have bm twins on mine. I believe the chip completly remaps the fuel. Bought mine used and i ran it for a while with the stock chip, it was very boggy on the bottom end before I figured out I had the wrong chip. Now it rips

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (graymatter @ Jan 9 2007, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have bm twins on mine. I believe the chip completly remaps the fuel. Bought mine used and i ran it for a while with the stock chip, it was very boggy on the bottom end before I figured out I had the wrong chip. Now it rips[/b]
You had the wrong chip at first? Or are you saying the it HAD the stock one when you bought it, and you added a chip......if you had the wrong chip...what was wrong about it? BM or D&D chip? Yours is EFI? Did you run with stock pipe first before the twins? Big difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metallicat @ Jan 9 2007, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Black Magic made the best twins for the 600 EFI. The twin pipes from a carb will be the same. The EFI chip remaps the fuel, there is no rev limiter on these sleds. If you are running twin pipes I would stay away from using a timing key - not worth the chance of a blown engine. I wasn't aware that a Boondocker could be used on the older EFI systems. I thought they were only for the newer models.[/b]
Yup..got the boondocker to work...had to hook the ground wire to the iginition switch ...I forget if it was the purple or brown now....I'm thinking it was the purple..I know brown is ground..I know...but it worked..I worked with tech support to get it to work.

No rev limiter? After ~8200 it falls on its face! Is the timing retarded to do that? Or is something up? Timing key = blown engine? Why?

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is an efi. The guy i bought it from must have put the stock chip in when he sold it. It idled fine
and after 7000 rpm it was ok but everything inbetween sucked. I put the correct chip from bm and it fixed everything. Never had the stock pipe on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts