Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend while riding my 98 zr 600 efi while going at 50mph or so and if you would try to slowly accelerate it would bogg and make almost a sizziling/crackle sound and you would have to slow down and then quickly accelerate to beyond 50. What could cause this and how could it be fixed? Thank You

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the wires coming from the kill switch have been cut and I thought that that bypassed the tps sensor.

·
Registered
487 Posts
the same thing is happening to me! at about 7400 rpm and 55-60 mph, same sound and everything! please let me know how you work this out its beginning to irrtate me, this think should fly with my setup, but my 87 ski doo is faster top end, someone was telling me stator?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smokinzr I really hope its not a stator, i shimmed out the recoil cover and drilled some holes for some extra air movement, and it runs great at every other speed besides 50.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i got a reman stator in my car but i went to do it and i broke 2 pullers trying to get the flywheel off! so i might need to go to a shop, mine cuts out at about 7450 rpm and wont go any faster than like 65, same sound you explain also, keep in touch, let me know what works, im going to check my kill switch tomorow and the air sensor in the air box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 00 zr 600 EFI, I've disconnected my kill switch, didn't help, Not really sure where to go, Keep reading about stator, I hope it's not. Randomly the sled seems to just drop a cylinder and wont run over 5,000rpm. then will randomly come back. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Matt

·
Registered
487 Posts
i just went out, found the harness for the kill switch, and ripped the prong right out of the harness for the throttle safety switch, i dont know if thats my problem but as of right now ill try anything before digging in for the stator. anyone else have any luck yet?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine is up north but i will be up there this weekend with a list of things to check and do, will post the outcome, and hopefully its good

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine did that 2 years ago and it was the stator. It would bog at 50mph and wouldn't rev up beyond 7400rpm. I could shut it off and let it cool down and it would run fine again for a while until it got warm.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine will go beyond 50, i had it up to 90 on an old rail road its just if i am cruising at 50 and try to accelerate slowly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a similar problem with my 98 zr600 efi. I'll be riding along and the machine will start to bog. If I pump the throttle it will take off and accelerate like hell. Sometimes it will run for miles without happening and other times it will happen time after time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
165 Posts
When my fuel pressure is a bit too high mine will do that too. I have an adjustable regulator and it bogs with a steady throttle if the fuel pressure is above 38lbs. This is probably not YOUR problem, but I have experienced it. But if you have a fuel pressure gage, might not hurt to put it before your fuel rail and see what your pressure is. Maybe the diaphram in your regulator is wearing out. Can you tell if it is a lean or rich bog? Also...when I melted down the exhaust side of my mag piston it would bog like you described.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (llorence @ Jan 24 2007, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've got a similar problem with my 98 zr600 efi. I'll be riding along and the machine will start to bog. If I pump the throttle it will take off and accelerate like hell. Sometimes it will run for miles without happening and other times it will happen time after time. Any suggestions?[/b]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have an adjustable fuel regulator on it, i dont know what its at right now. i have not fooled with it too much. what range should the pressure be at about?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing too!!! Sometimes, not all the times. When it does, let off the throttle, let it drop in rpm's and it'll run ragged again, maybe for a short period, maybe longer.

I have a new stator on the way, I have a ECU that I'm going to swap out, has a BM chip in it now. I also have a set of Throttle bodies I can swap. I don't have a adj. pressure regulator or guage, but I may add those in.

If i cure mine I'll post what I found did it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
messed with it a little this weekend and no fix.... starting a new list of things to try for next weekend.

·
Registered
487 Posts
did you do the stator? im riding tomorow then wednesday she will be going in the shop to install the reman stator and check out a few things, hopefully its my fix! the lakes are freezing solid and i want to MOVE.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i did not get a new stator. i just dont think mine is bad, but i could be wrong. let me know if it works on your sled.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts