Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well I made the rookie mistake of installing the rear shock pivot in the down position.:Bangin: I know it was in the up position, but must have slipped down when reinstalling the skid and I never checked before installing the axle. Thankfully I caught it in time…only a few blasts around the yard in some deeper snow. I felt the vibration pretty quick and quit riding. It sustained minimal damage…a few lugs were chipped, just the inner edge. I also bent the shock struts. Thankfully the shock rod seems to be straight, especially I just had it rebuilt and re-valved.

My question is how important is it for the struts to be straight? Can I leave if for the rest of the season? I have the sled up on a lift so it shouldn’t be a big deal in removing them to straighten them. Are the considerably weaker now that they have bent and straightend or should they be replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me bent the struts which are actually links back put on a new shock old one was toast. The links bent again I guess they were weakened and toasted my new shock, I would get new ones they dont cost that much, cheaper than a new shock or repairing the one you have anyway. Not to mention taking out more drive lugs on your track.

·
Registered
618 Posts
No problem..I would be careful getting those shock links on Ebay you dont know what your getting.

I bought new ones they were like 10.00 each not to bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great point. I really didn't look into what the cost was. But for $20-30, it's a no brainer to get new ones.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts