Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to take a look at 98 Thundercat here in the cities and from talking to the guy it doesnt sound like its been ran in 4-5 yrs, he couldnt remember. What all could be bad on it engin wise? Obviously the carbs will need a cleaning but water pump, crank seals, rings, or is anything else bad from sitting that long? He's asking $1900 for it, which is high, its only got 2300 miles on it. Thanks for the help, I'd just like some info in my arsenal to get him down on the price, and to not screw myself into buying a money pit.
Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Water pump seals,plan to do those just to be safe. Ounce running check crank seals with a can of WD40,check track bearings,plan on rebuild of shocks(think 98 had FOX). Just remember that T-Cats were bought to run,some got pounded and put away wet while others had owners that ran them but kepted them clean and checked them over at the end of the day. P.S. planning on selling mine if your interrested!!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Stator, tss bypass, drive bearing under the secondary clutch, I'm sure carbs are gunked up, if water was leaking by the water pump the bearings in the engine are shot...check coolant level and if it is down be afraid, gas in the tank is varnish by now, check all bearings throughout the rear skid, compression ect...lots of stuff to check

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to go look at it on mon night. Thanks for the tips on checking things out. Im bringing the comp tester and the volt meter to check the ohms. Ill post what I find out on it. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts