Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys-
I've only posted a few times because i've needed to. Last ride out the sled started making noises. I suspected a bearing. Long story short, the drive gear in the chain case has lost a tooth and the chain is damaged. I still suspect I may have a bearing bad on the other side because the speedo quit on that ride as well. Obviously it needs gears and a chain and I will replace any faulty bearings. I have two questions:

1) I want to take this opportunity to gear down slightly. I don't need the top speed the sled has and I need a little deeper gear to climb the steeper hills. Which way do I go on the tooth count?

2) Where can I get them along with any bearings? I'm not even sure where to start for different gearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
go down on the small gear or up on the big gear to increase low end and any cat dealer will have brgs and can order gears that prolly has 40 19 gears i have a 18 gear witch would drop your top end 4 mph and give u more dig

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'll have to find another dealer. My local one closed last fall. I had another question too. I've gotten the outer half of the chain case off obviously but can't for the life of me figure out how the inner half comes loose. The bearings are out, the retainer plates are off, I've removed every nut and bolt I can see and felt all over for others. Pried gently with a bar and no luck. Don't want to break the cast aluminum.

Edit: yeah. 19 on top. I'll have to count the lower gear.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
honestly i have had the same issue with both sleds ive parted out i cant figure them out ether hopefully some one else will chime in

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
For chain and sprockets, the dealer prices are OK. You will need 13W chain and gears. Stock, that sled came with 19 tooth top gear and a 40 tooth bottom gear. Drop one on top to an 18 and use the stock length chain (70P).

As for bearings, I buy mine from the local farm supply for $8 each instead of the $35 the dealer charges. The only difference is no o-ring grove for the shaft. I just put a light ipe of silicone on the shaft and on the outer race and ahve never had a single problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't figure it "had to" come out but figured things might be easier if it was. It's looking like things will be easier if I just leave it alone and replace broken parts and put it back together.... I'll try to source parts this week.. Found that all my local dealers have closed up shop. Alarming actually....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts