Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for first actions on trouble shooting a problem i ran in to. Every thing was running fine, but i had it into the garage replacing my slides and bearings on my idler wheels. Then when i went to drive it home i was going about 20 or 30 MPH and i noticed my speedometer wasn't working, so i gave it some gas and it popped out of forward and stayed in like a "neutral". I pushed the lever back into forward and it went for about 20 30 feet and it popped back out again. I pulled it into reverse and it works fine. Now when i put it into forward it grinds then pulls into gear but I can only go about 5 feet and it keeps popping out. If anyone has some suggestions for my first actions I am interested in hearing what insight you have to share!

If there is anymore information you would like to me to post just ask the question and I will try and describe it best as possible.

The sled is a 1998 EXT 600 triple with 2800 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When the speedometer stops working, that is often an indication that your left side drive bearing is going out, the drive shaft starts wobbling which breaks the little connector pin off. in order to check, you need to remove the secondary clutch and remove the speedo housing. If the connector pin is still intact, your speedo problem is somewhere else. If your bearing is shot, it will need to be replaced, and could be the cause of your other problem as well.

Most likely, you have worn pawls in your chaincase. These are 3 spring loaded pins that engage from one gear to another when in forward gear. they can get worn or stick so that they do not engage properly. You will have to take the chaincase cover off and remove the chain and gears to inspect for wear or damage. If you have to replace the PTO drive bearing, you should replace the one on this side as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.