Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I really need your help. My 98 Powder Special 600 EFI has been giving us grief. It will start but won't idle up to 1700+- so that it will keep running. It idles up to maybe 1000 or so and then runs for 10-30 seconds and slowly idles down till it dies. If you give it throttle it will bog and die. Tried new plugs, took off fuel lines to each side of the throttle body and it seems to be getting fuel. I haven't been able to find the fuel filter and am running out of ideas. Once it is running it seems to run fine . Tried isopropyl alcohol and putting it into the shop in case of icing problems. Warm temps here also so I do not really think it is ice. Thanks in advance. bang your head

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
John, I'll take a kick at this. Some things that come to mind:

Water temp sensor and connections.
Plug cable and/or boot crack.
Throttle washers (but that shouldn't effect idle).
EFI injector relay rusted.
Have you gone through all the electrical connections?
Don't want to say it....stator?

What were the symptoms leading up to this? Did it do this during a ride, or the next day when you went to fire it up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
It does this after riding it for a bit. We shut it off for a bit and then it acts up. It seems to be fine after it sits for a few hours. Other issues now. The chaincase piled up, the nut backed off the top sprocket. It took out the top sprocket and damaged the splines on the shaft. Now we are waiting for parts. I need to go to Westlock next week and I may bring it there to have them do the repairs and have a quick look at the sled. The input is appreciated. I am no mechanic.

As a side note 500+ miles on the CF1000 it is running strong. Up against my wife's CF7 it is whoever gets the holeshot is first to the finish. I am only getting just over 7000 RPM. Cat dealer sold me a different belt for a spare, maybe I should try it for revs, oops should not use that word here. RPM's.

John

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Under Pressure @ Jan 2 2007, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi guys,
I really need your help. My 98 Powder Special 600 EFI has been giving us grief. It will start but won't idle up to 1700+- so that it will keep running. It idles up to maybe 1000 or so and then runs for 10-30 seconds and slowly idles down till it dies. If you give it throttle it will bog and die. Tried new plugs, took off fuel lines to each side of the throttle body and it seems to be getting fuel. I haven't been able to find the fuel filter and am running out of ideas. Once it is running it seems to run fine . Tried isopropyl alcohol and putting it into the shop in case of icing problems. Warm temps here also so I do not really think it is ice. Thanks in advance. bang your head[/b]

I have seen this several times, Your forgot to include that it "Backfires" also just before it dies.
Your stator is shot, I would bet you a beer that the charge coil at 12 O'clock on the stator is melted and burn't up. It's not making enough power to operate the ECU.
I have one that has just been rewound at Stator Corp with a 2 year warranty.
If you are interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Snow800
Thanks. I haven't noticed a backfire at all. There is approx 2400 miles on the sled, the stator was replaced about 1000 miles ago also. The last time it just bogged and did not have any power. This time it runs great once it is idled up. Is there an easy way to check for a fried stator ? How much for the one that you have and are they all the same? It seems to be a common problem with these eh!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am not pointing fingers and laughing,Not at all but i see all this trouble with the new sleds,and I know mine has the EFI and LQ but I think I may stay with it! It is a fast lake sled I am looking into tradeing in my little trail sled for a Yes Doo, got one down the road a really nice looking98 fromula 670 or 680 3,000 grand on it!

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
I have been a snowmobile mechanic for almost 20 years, I have seen these efi problems so many times it will make you sick.

It costs the owners between $400 to a $1000 dollars depending how it is fixed(parts and labor).

The bad thing is that all you can do is put it back the way it was and that isn't very good, it will keep
frying the stators.

Yours could be burnt up with a 1000 miles on it, I have seen new ones fry again in as little as 200 miles.

$180 plus shipping for the rebuilt stator, exchanged. $225 without a core.

You need to look at the pinned post at the top of this forum.

I posted how I put them back together.

I have never had another stator fail after i put them back together like shown in the pics.
I have copied the link, click on it below.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27284

Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snow800 @ Jan 6 2007, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been a snowmobile mechanic for almost 20 years, I have seen these efi problems so many times it will make you sick.

It costs the owners between $400 to a $1000 dollars depending how it is fixed(parts and labor).

The bad thing is that all you can do is put it back the way it was and that isn't very good, it will keep
frying the stators.

Yours could be burnt up with a 1000 miles on it, I have seen new ones fry again in as little as 200 miles.

I have never had another stator fail after i put them back together like shown in the pics.

Mike[/b]
Hey Mike,
Is it possible for a stator to test good with resistance, and voltage.... and still be pooched? I pulled it out of the sled, it dosnt look burnt at all. But that stator does have 6000+ miles on it. The problems im having with the sled now are bogging before 6500, then it goes like stink. I tested everything on the sled(sensors, etc) and everything tests fine.... darn cat! lol

if i punch my sled off the line, i cant even blow roost... it bogs/hesitates untill 6500 and then pulls hard, i really wish this sled ran good... grrr.

·
Registered
192 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Under Pressure @ Jan 3 2007, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi guys,
I really need your help. My 98 Powder Special 600 EFI has been giving us grief. It will start but won't idle up to 1700+- so that it will keep running. It idles up to maybe 1000 or so and then runs for 10-30 seconds and slowly idles down till it dies. If you give it throttle it will bog and die. Tried new plugs, took off fuel lines to each side of the throttle body and it seems to be getting fuel. I haven't been able to find the fuel filter and am running out of ideas. Once it is running it seems to run fine . Tried isopropyl alcohol and putting it into the shop in case of icing problems. Warm temps here also so I do not really think it is ice. Thanks in advance. bang your head[/b]
Hey Under Pressure,
I had the same problem with my wife's 99 Powder Special 500 EFI and my 99 Powder Special 600 EFI. It started happening just before I moved down from Calgary to Newfoundland in 2003 on my wife's first and then mine... Drove me crazy...I don't think it's the stator as others have mentioned, I think it's getting tooooo much gas and the regulator is overpressuring the fuel rail. Both my sleds when I took them out in the late fall to try and start them would do the same thing... go up to 200-400 rpm, hover and die when i hit the throttle. the next pull go up higher 300-600 rpm and stay there unless you hit the throttle, then would die. It would take about 15-25/30 pulls to get it going and when you did it ran fine. Sometimes I went for a ride to warm it up and give a good run then shut it off for 10 minutes and would be hard to start again until you gave it lots of throttle to get going...
Finially this year I checked the fuel pressure and it was way too high... well over 40+ psi....Normal is 37-38 psi. I rigged up a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and am in the process of dialing it in now but haven't had the snow to check piston wash and plugs to really get a good setting but at about 36 psi it starts real good now on the second pull when cold and first when warm....
This warm winter has thrown a screw into sleddin' but has given me a chance now to go through the sleds from front to back and change out bearings and finally add those reverse kits I bought last year from ebay... my whole sled is apart now in the garage and slowly piecing it back together... 6 bad bearings so far including the drive shaft bearings...Lots of fun....should start on the wife's soon... beer-sign
Anyway check you fuel pressure to see if that's the culpret before you spend the money on a Stator!!! Just my 2 cents!!!
Best of Luck! Rockerdude

·
Registered
93 Posts
along with me, i would like to know about the aftermarket regulator. Here is something else i noticed this year, last year after i shut the sled off.... it ALWAYS held fuel pressure( i have a gauge) This year, after it shuts off, it looses fuel pressure and goes to zero, does that mean my regulator is pooched??? if anyone can help us out, that would be awesome!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveR @ Jan 7 2007, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snow800 @ Jan 6 2007, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

frying the stators.

Mike[/b]
Hey Mike,
Is it possible for a stator to test good with resistance, and voltage.... and still be pooched? I pulled it out of the sled, it dosnt look burnt at all. But that stator does have 6000+ miles on it. The problems im having with the sled now are bogging before 6500, then it goes like stink. I tested everything on the sled(sensors, etc) and everything tests fine.... darn cat! lol

if i punch my sled off the line, i cant even blow roost... it bogs/hesitates untill 6500 and then pulls hard, i really wish this sled ran good... grrr.
[/b][/quote]

UPDATE:

All along it was clutching, belt deflection was way off. I always checked clutch alignment, but never deflection... IM SO STUPID!! lol. Shes fixed now and good to go :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts