Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im brand new to the site and just picked up a 98 500 4x4. Im trying to find a pipe for it with no luck. Also interested in finding other performance stuff if anyone could help point me in the right direction that would be great.:huh:

·
Registered
125 Posts
there isnt much offered for those Cats. Most people I have seen just mod the muffler to allow more flow. If you're going to try and open the exhaust, you should have a moose stage 1 carburetor kit installed along with it.

Those 500's are torque machines. If you open the exhaust more to get more top end, you might lose some of the torque they are famous for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ride a '99 500, is it low on power? yup...lol The guys I ride with mainly have 700cc and up, but the old girl keeps up pretty good. A little low on power goin up hills and such on fast trails! But hit a mudhole...put the old beast in low range and watch out...hahaha:lol:

Have been exploring a jet kit and pipe, but HATE loud pipes...think I'll just live with it, it's not that bad!!

BTW...unsure of condition or mileage on your machine, so have you checked ALL bearings(pinion bearing on both diffs) BALL JOINTS...shock bushings...make sure the rad is completely cleaned(get plugged up faster then one thinks)...tie rod ends are infamous on our years of AC's...just a heads up on a few things IF you haven't already!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your right there isn't much stuff untill you really go looking. I've spent the last couple of years doing mine. I've found air filters, pipe's, clutch springs, HD Tie rods and BBK's . The stuff is out there. Not many people are looking for it but it's there. Depending on what your planning to do with it. I mudbog mine..:catwins

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry I have no idea.. Saw your post and don't know how to help..

·
Registered
125 Posts
A revelation I had recently some/many probably know, new to me:

The older Cats used a lot of the same parts that the new cats use. Example: The 2000 500 uses the same ball joints as the 2007 700 (H1?).. so if you are calling around looking for HD ball joints for your old cat, and the guy tells you they dont make anything for it, they are lying in a certain way. There are sites that list part numbers for all years of AC quads with diagrams. If you are looking for a specific part or upgrade, look and see if the part number you are wanting to upgrade is used on newer models, then look up parts for that newer model instead. Another example would be axle upgrades. Monster says they dont make axles for older cats, but some newer cats use the same OEM axles the old ones do. Same part number and everything. So just buy the part for the newer cat and it should fit like it was made for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.