Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled will only run up to 6000 rpms checed everything else now time to check electrical. What should the stator ohm out at and what leads to go were, also the igniton coils. Does this have timming sensor or is this controlled through the cdi. Also can the cdi be checked.

What device might cause this problem helpppppppppppppppppppppp.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi Slim,

Have the shop manual at home with the numbers you need. If I don't see a response by then, I'll post the numbers (ohms), perhaps scan and post the page with that info (if that is legal on this site - I see a lot of AC pages posted here).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Okay, I have the 1997 ZRT600 ZRT800 shop manual in front of me. Page 5-15 shows a diagram of the ignition system. Here is what they say about the stator;

Stator Outputs:

Yellow-to-Yellow = 0.14 ohms
Black/Red-to-Green = 37 ohms
Green-to-White = 480 ohms

Be careful! In their infinte wisdowm, AC has run two black wires through the stator, one is just a pass through, the other an active end of a stator coil. Try both to be sure. Gee, a big thanks AC.

Timing sensor:

Brown-to-Green/White = 101 ohms

For kicks and giggles;

Coil primaries 0.34 Ohms

Coil secondaries = 7900 Ohms (measured from ground to tower on single coil - measured from tower to tower on dual tower coil)

You have a normally closed ignition system and all grounds/connections must be soild for this bad boy to run right.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
780 Posts
One further note;

There is no mention of CDI testing in the 1997 Shop manual. The 1999 Performance manual does mention that an analyzer can be used to measure peak voltage between the orange and black CDI wires. The voltage should be around 170 volts peak between 2000 and 4000 RPM. This is the only place where I can find a test for the CDI. I suppose it is an expensive "light bulb" and either is works or it doesn't and needs replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick,

I cant thank you enough I will try to do these checks today and will post what I find, again I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey slim, i had problems with 98 zrt and had 4 different cdi boxes so i tested all of them and tried all of them they were all good, some from 97 some from 98 ; then i tested every combo of wires and resistances and got kind of a pattern so if you find your stator is good i could get you my readings just for something to compare to maybe that would help. i'm not dead sure if this works so i'm kinda goin out on a limb but i remember testing dirtbike cdis from the book for ohms . Ill wait for your post after you test the stator. Happy Wrenchin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what i measured with my fluke meter

Stator:

Black/Red-to-Green=19 ohms
Green-to-White=407 ohms

These numbers are off a little but would think they are close enough

The timming sensor:

Brown-to-Green/White= 90 ohms

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dropped a different stator in today and bang back to running like a champ. Thank you to all the helped out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts