Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there everyone i have a 1997 ext with a zrt 600 triple engine. I recently got this bogging problem when i was on a trail this last weekend. before that it ran good it sat for a while it this was its first real ride in idk how many years must of been at least 4 or 5. but i took it to my friends farm and rode it the previous week and it ran the balls!! no issues then i went about maybe thirty miles the following weekned in maine and it started to sputter and pop and run like ****. so i cleaned the carbs really well and i still had the problem. so i took the carbs off again and cleaned them really well there was no sign of water or rust flakes or anything in them they were spotless. so i cleaned them and i also drained the gas tank completly really well and it solved nothing same problem. i looked in these forums and tried the suggestions but nothing worked. i tested the stator by ohms and it apeared fine, i took the pick up hose out of the gas tank and it was fine, i blew air through all the gas line and they were all clear, i changed the fuel filter, i checked the spark and plenty of spark on all three cyclnders, checked compression all three are at 130 on the dot, i have a spark plug tool that lets me see inside the cylinder as its running and it had the nice blue color at idle and when i gave it gas you could see it was poping orange which is not right. so the machine idles great but when u give it gas u have to ease on it really slowly or it will bog. and if you ease on it slow enough you can get it to engage the clutch and drive at 4500 rpm and withh ride for a little with it sputering and popping once in a while from unburnt fuel build up in the exhaust. and then it will just come to a stop and i have to idle it up slowly till it can engauge and go again. im out of ideas it has good spark, compresion, and its getting fuel im lost and need some help desperately thanks. and i forgot to metion the only thing i changed from when i rode it at my friends farm when it ran good to up in maine is i changed the two stroke oil. at first i used the oil that was in it i dont know what it was. then before the trip i put in some walmart two stroke oil that said it would work for snowmobiles idk if thats whats causeing these problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
clutch

try replacing the primary clutch the springs inside wear out and become to weak to keep up there for the drive shaft spins to fast for the springs to apply proper pressure to as for the improper combustion i would have to say possibly timing or even maybe a new set of spark plug wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think the clutchis a problem it engauges and dissengauges fine itsjust the combution problem. And already did replace the wire a month ago i ran a test on the coil pack and it failed it bearly had spark so.i replacedit andit ranthe balls and that gave sparkto the right and left cylinder and the coil pack for the center cyclnder is fine and i checked all plugs and they all had plenty of spark. But is there a way to check the timing maybe then? I have a timing gun. But as for the stator are they hard to removebc.i.kind of feel.that that mightbe.iti just dont know. But thanksfor.ur.helpi really want to pinpoint this problem its abouying me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got I tried measuring stator ohms but im not sure i got the right plug and does the stator go into the side of the engine. Also how do i get to the reeds? Do i have to take off the carbs and then the boot that connects the carbs to the cylnder and the reeeds are right behind that? And finnaly where exactly is the tps sensor and how do i know which wire to unplug? Thanks again guys for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts