Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning i started my sled let it warm up a little bit and when i went to take off it bogged and acted like it fouled out a plug..well i replaced the plugs and now it wont start..i dont think i see any spark but its outside and i cant tell if it has spark or not..comeon guys help me out here its the 1st snow of the yr and i cant get the damn thing to start.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Spark, fuel, and compression; check each and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel and compression good. :thumbsup: no spark.. :angry_mad:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hmm sounds like maybe the coil went bad or something...hopefully not the stator! The ZR 440s didnt seem to be bad on stators like the bigger ZRs were!! Hopefully its just something simple.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im kinda thinking its the coil but i dont know..

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is so frustrating..there is snow and i cant ride..errr

·
Registered
780 Posts
There was a recall on the kill switch - perhaps it has gone bad? Get out a VOM/Multimeter and see if the switch is good. Does the headlamp glow when pulling the rip cord?

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes the headlight glows..so i know its not the stator.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Stator is good - that is awesome news! Sounds like a "primary" ignition circuit issue. Check out wiring and switches for issues. May want to jump the ignition switch temporarily to test the coil. DON'T ATTEMPT TO RIDE A JUMPERED SLED - ONLY TEST IN THIS CONFIGURATION!

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how do i test these?

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticKelly @ Jan 15 2007, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how do i test these?[/b]

1) Check switches for continuity. Turn on switches and use a VOM in "resistance" mode and measure the resistance between the switch terminals. Should be near 0 OHMS.

2) Jumper across the switches. Use some insulated wire, strip a 1/4" bit of insulation off each end, and bypass the switches and look for spark.

A couple of other potential issues;

1) badly fouled plugs - swap out for a fresh set.
2) CDI module bad... only way to test is to replace - yuck
3) Bad coil - again, replacement item.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i stand corrected it has spark..just no fire :angry_mad:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is this the first time you've run this sled this year? If so, I'd suspect bad fuel or clogged line/carburetor. What do the plugs look like (insulator color - black, white, brown)?

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok a little update here..i figured out there was no fuel going to the carbs..so i rebuilt the fuel pump thinking that could be it.well all the diaphrams looked ok but i replaced them all anyway and there is still no fuel even with the fuel lines off the carbs..so next i replaced the vacuum hose from the block to the pump and still no fuel supply..is it possible that the pump could just be bad??i mean dont know how i could have put it togeather wrong..and also is there a special hose that i have to use for this vacuum line or can i just get away with a standard fuel line?im kinda at a loss here.would getting a new pump be a good idea?oh ya and when we put fuel/oil mix into the cylinders it fires up and runs till the fuel burns off.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Did you happen to take a look at the fuel filter that feeds the pump? Is fuel getting to the pump okay?

On the vac hose, it is best to use a black rubber automotive vac line as the polyethylene hose may collapse under higher vac levels. I'd now suspect either a blockage in the tank or filter. Try to blow out the line back to the tank with some compressed air. May want to also check the fuel on/off valve also. I inadvertently left mine closed and after about 10 pulls my brain began to work when I realized that the shutoff valve was in the off position.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Jan 15 2007, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you happen to take a look at the fuel filter that feeds the pump? Is fuel getting to the pump okay?

On the vac hose, it is best to use a black rubber automotive vac line as the polyethylene hose may collapse under higher vac levels. I'd now suspect either a blockage in the tank or filter. Try to blow out the line back to the tank with some compressed air. May want to also check the fuel on/off valve also. I inadvertently left mine closed and after about 10 pulls my brain began to work when I realized that the shutoff valve was in the off position.[/b]
fuel filter is new.and the shut off valve is bypassed..i thought of that right away so i bypassed it to see if that was it.and the vac line is automotive vac line..man im losing it trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try blowing back from the filter through the tank and see if you get bubbles in the tank.

Another more dangerous option;

Take a 4 foot length of fuel line, run it into a gas can and to the fuel pump intake port (bypassing tank, filter, shutoff valve, etc.) If the pump won't draw, I'd suspect a bad fuel pump (probably bad valves in the pump).

Aside from that, make sure you are getting a good vac on the pulse port on the pump. Nice thing about fuel delivery problems, they are fairly inexpensive to solve. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok ill try those..tomorrow im gonna check to see if there is bubbles in the tank when i blow back through the feed line..this thing is driving me nuts cause it ran this morning and my arm feels like its about to fall off.is there any specific vac im looking for on the pulse line or just vac at all??

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticKelly @ Jan 15 2007, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
....is there any specific vac im looking for on the pulse line or just vac at all??[/b]

Hard to quantify, but you should "feel" vac pulses when the engine spins over. If you have a vac gage, connect it and look for fairly large needle swings on the gage. If this is not the case, suspect a vac hose leak, case seal leak (hope not), or other vac issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts