Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled starts good when its cold, 2-3 pulls. Works good. Then after a stop on the trail for about 10 - 15 minutes it doesn't want to start. Have to hold the throttle wide open, and when it starts it has a low idle and you have to feather the throttle to get it up to normal. Then it runs good again. Just wondering if someone knows of a specific problem that would cause this. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas? I read some posts about carb sleds doing the same thing and people were diagnosing it as getting too much fuel. Is there something that would cause an efi to act like this? Maybe a bad sensor or the TPS out of whack. Someone must have had a similar problem. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you tried to let it idle for a minute or so before you shut it off? I had a 97 that was hard to start like that and I mentioned it to the dealer.. He told me about this.. I tried it and it worked. Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually let it idle for a minute before i shut it off. I have a buddy who has the exact same sled and his starts first pull after the same time riding. I'll try letting it idle a bit longer to see if that helps though. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Try to see if it is a fuel or spark issue. When it won't restart pull the plugs and see if they are wet and pull it over and see if the spark looks weak. Usually when there is an issue after a sled "warms up" it has to do with something eletrical whether it be a stator going bad on it or a set of coils on their last legs. Also, check your compression when cold and then when warm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blaine, thanks for the input. I've checked the stator. I'll try checking the compression. Anyone have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
An injector could be leaking, essentially flooding out the engine. I had a motorcycle that did that. Testing is a pain though without plenty of tools.

Adding to above, you could pull the plugs after a couple of minutes, move them out of the way or disconnect the coil to prevent a fire and pull the engine over to see if you get a bunch of fuel to spray out. that might tell you something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bwbob thanks for the input. My buddy has the exact sled so maybe i'll see if he will swap me injectors for a ride to see if the problem goes from my sled to his. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm maybe thinking that the throttle cable is out of adjustment. mine did the same thing where it didn't want to start up, and I adjusted the cable just a little bit and it came right out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Squirmyman, did yours start fine cold and not want to start warm. How did you go about adjusting it. I have had the trhottle bodies off before, and I had to take take the cable off. May not have set it back to the correct adjustment. I would love for it to be something simple like that. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts