Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 97 zr 440. Can any one you that know these sleds inside out give me and tips on jetting and such for this sled. I am just gonna be using it to do some trail riding and to use to pull my fish house around. Picking it up soon and would like to know what to look at before we get snow. Thanks everybody

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Welcome.
Nice sled.
I moved your thread into this section to help you with more member feedback.
I'm a fan of the 97. It is a runner. They were set up pretty tight in stock form. Out of the box, it ran lean jetting and high rpm engagement. It may help to know what has been changed.
Based on how you want to use the sled, I'm guessing you will want to tweak the clutching and possibly gearing from stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picking up sled tomorrow and taking it to an old arctic cat mechanic. The main thing I am lookin for is a good jetting combo. I’m from Minnesota. What would be the best. I can’t get 92 anywhere but 91 is obtainable. I have read pages of threads on here. Are the plug wires a must with non resister plugs. Help me out guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
I jetted down to deal with the fuel issues. Yeah, I gave up a little bit, but it was still pretty strong. It came down to making a decision about making things easy. The thing still gave fits to the bigger motor sleds with things toned down.
Have your guy do a good compression check. Pistons were cheap, but I went through a few. Another reason for the jetting.
Never did anything with plug wires, not sure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plug wires look factory. I told him about the nology wires and he hadn’t heard of them. He said he did put ufo’s on a few and that really helped with jetting issues. Has anyone done ufo’s on them. I did some quick research on them. Think you can still buy them??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DISCLAIMER: I have no ties to Nology, Inc. However, were I to ever purchase yet another ‘97 (had one for 6 seasons in past), Nology Hotwires would be my number 1 purchase (as far as performance enhancing upgrades)
I have seen this come up a few times. Can you tell me more as to why these wires and running non resistor plugs are the best plan. I guy I have checking it out also wants to put ufo’s on it. He had done that to a few of these in the past and said it worked out well. Looking for options suggestions.

·
Administrator
20,067 Posts
They equate to a complete burn (of Cats over rich low end jetting debacle), a problem related to poor airbox design that cannot be jetted out without repeated piston damage.

Simply put, they’re an easy to do upgrade that has had all HONEST reviewers smiling from ear to ear when done. Makes the ‘97 a whole different animal when done.

·
Administrator
20,067 Posts
Read closely, “ The jetting issue’s of the 1997 ZR 440 are nearly impossible to jet away without having a seriously LEAN SPOT at partial throttle position (which will cause burnt piston crowns if ever held at the 20-35 mph cruising range very long), so, it’s your choice to make, you can do a simple plug wire upgrade and have your engine live a long prosperous life or you can try jetting and keeping your fingers crossed that you’re not walking back without your sled (and the $$ it’ll cost to repair the damage incurred) “

If it were easy to jet out, the engineers at Cat would have done so prior to releasing the sled to the public, I cannot be any clearer than that.....

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
I'm glad to see @C-note , helping in the discussion. He knows these sleds quite well.
He also brings up a good point about the 20-35 mph cruising range. I think that is important based on what you @Dustin Portner , have described for intended use of the sled.
Like I said earlier, they are runners. It is basically a consumer available race sled of the era. IMHO it is one hell of a sled. Fun to ride, and made to go.

The little tweaks are aimed at keeping it going longer. I'd do the wires. Those were not talked about when I had one of these things, so I fooled around with jetting. I eventually just jetted fat and gave up some of the peak running especially in warm temps.
BTW, I'm super impressed that sled still has the handlebar front shock adjust. Check out the operation to verify it is working well. It's a cool feature and nice to have especially with varied riding as you describe. I'm kinda hard on sleds at times and that adjuster disappeared on about the third skid rebuild. (That just reminded me of another thing.) I eventually ended up adding reinforcement to the rails. Your set still looks good, but it's something to watch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think the OP's question was answered. I think he wants to know if he puts Nology wires on his sled will he need to rejet because of the wires?
Yes your correct I plan on purchasing the wires. I have not dig into the sled to much. But It’s running 330 mains. Waiting on some clutch parts to come in. I am just curious as when install the wires I have to adjust the carbs according. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
By adding the newer wires what does this do for that sled ? Just wanted to no the logic behind it. C-note no his stuff. Will these wires work on other big twin motors or just to this model? Thanks. I think my friend told me that the green sled had the higher compression motor then others 150?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Administrator
20,067 Posts
No rejetting is required with addition of these wires (sled runs “as if” you’d rejetted), ie; crisp throttle response and very clean burn of plugs (without all the blubbering these are known for @ engagement through 7200-7300 rpm range)

Set the air screws at 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 (from lightly seated) and leave it alone. I went from going through 2-3 sets of plugs per ride (when boon-docking or in wet heavy snow at lower speeds) to a sled that performed as it SHOULD HAVE DONE when it left the factory. I rode it like that for the first 3 seasons of ownership (after purchasing it brand new in 12/96), adding the wires (which I was told of 2 seasons earlier) made me immediately kick myself for not adding them back then.

NOTE: Like I said in my first reply to your thread, Nology hotwires WOULD INDEED be The Very First Item I’d purchase for another 1997 if I were to ever acquire one again in future.

I cannot be any clearer than that ^^^^^^

1 - 20 of 22 Posts