Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a motor i bought from a friend, it was a zr 1997 440 , the crank was split apart and rods change from 440 to 500 zr to fit 500 cylinders, with top case work , he said it went faster than a stock 500 because it has diffrent case opening and the timing could be adjusted,
has any body seen a motor like mine

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The cranks and the cases are the same I think. The rods are different lengths. If you press a crank apart you can put whatever rods you want on it. YES the 440 and 500/600 rods where different.
Timing curve has a lot to do with it. Alot of the 440 timing was turned back for poor fuel reasons. I never a had a carb 500 or 600 motor apart just a EFI stator out. There fixed I know the brian box moves the timing curve. On a 440 you can turn the stator back and forward by just loosing the screws.
As far as port timing that would all be in the cylinders. The motors are case reed. I dont think case is all that different between them. take the motor apart and see if someone modded the porting from the case to the jugs. You have to match the transfer ports up also the water jackets. Now days anything can be built.
You can build a tripple if you want too. Just cut the cases in half right down the middle of one of the cylinders and case reeds. Press the crank apart add another half and press it back together. A guy on here does the 800 and 900.
Arctic Cat did build a zrt 500 motor it was never released. I have pictures of it. They had it at arctic cats 50th open house. Cat figured the market wasnt there. Wouldnt sell enough and be that much different from the 600 zrt. but it was made.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
We could do it, but it would take us a long time to get set up, with other projects and work going on.

Would you really end up with something that much better than a big bored ZRT 600? I can almost see the benefit of doing with ZR 600 cylinders, to basically get a lightweight T-cat.

Where we would run into another issue would be with the head. The 8/900 ones we do we have a mono head made, but we don't have the CAD program for the 5/600, and they don't have individual heads.

I can describe the process we use to make the triples, it's not actually that difficult, if you have some tools. The hardest part is getting a shaft made that matches the crank bearing diameter. At that point, it's just a matter of cutting your cases, trimming the ends up, welding them, and getting some machine work done so you know they're straight/flat.

Sorry this is kinda rambling, but if you have questions, feel free to let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.