Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used ski trying to get it ready. Zero snowmobile experience. Tons of pwc experience. Inspection , found lots of things to fix. But the brake lever not rebounding after squeezing has me worried. When squeezed it doesn't rebound enough to deactivate the brake light. Is there a spring somewhere I am missing

·
Registered
331 Posts
I believe your ZR has a hydraulic brake. Try opening up the bleeder. If that doesn't release the brakes, it sounds like a corroded and stuck caliper piston. Old brake fluid absorbs water from the air and corrodes up internal brake parts. Most people don't flush out their fluid on a regular basis [every two years or so]. You would have to take apart your caliper to see if it is in rebuildable condition [how corroded it actually is].

Also, if someone put a petroleum product [hydraulic fluid instead of brake fluid] it would cause all the rubber parts in your system to swell, locking up your brakes.

If your brakes are not staying on, just your brake handle is sticking, maybe you could take the handle off and give the works a good cleaning and lube the pivot. The spring, I believe, is actually inside the master cylinder [probobly not the problem]. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best place to buy a master cylinder rebuild kit. Asking because the cheap Chinese parts are not worth taking your time to use.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It looks like Arctic Cat has discontinued the Master Cylinder assembly with no rebuild kit available. That would be my first choice-OE parts. You will have to find an aftermarket kit or a good used unit. You could also try taking your unit apart, cleaning it, and replacing any o-rings [you should be able to match them up with O-rings from an automobile parts store.]

Just make sure your lever is not frozen instead of the Master cylinder.

Been bitten by cheap chinese parts before , eh?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Best place to buy a master cylinder rebuild kit. Asking because the cheap Chinese parts are not worth taking your time to use.

This is a universal master cylinder that might work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thank you. Will post when done.
Be careful when bleeding your brakes. On my Pantera, it's real easy for the brake fluid coming out of the bleeder to get dumped on the recoil rope, which will fill up your recoil with brake fluid! Don't ask me how I know this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I ordered a used master cylinder off FB marketplace. Stepped it and painted it with black epoxy paint. Put it on connected it and bled the brakes using synthetic dot3 brake fluid.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Another place to look for a problem waiting to happen on that sled (I have one, my brother and a buddy each have one) is the coolant hose down by the jackshaft on the right side (sitting on sled look forward). It runs under the shaft and has a shield but if that rusts away the hose gets rubbed through by the shaft. (BTW, that 98 or 99 in the picture I think had that hose routing changed). You can find a green & black seat cover for your sled on eBay too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts