Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Arctic Cat Panther 440 w/ electric start and reverse. When it gets cold out (which it does here in Maine) my electric start will barely turn the engine over. It does turn the engine over, but not nearly fast enough to start the engine. once i pull it and it warms up and i shut it off, the electric starter turns it over nice and fast and it starts right up. I am not really surwe what the problem is, the battery is no more than 2 years old and for most of the summer i put it on a battery tender. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate the help.
thanks
ben

also the key will not stay in the ignition switch. if i start it and leave it in the run position i can just pull the key right out. I thought the ignition switch was the problem so i bout a new one, but in the new one it still does it. Is the key the problem or dot hey all do this?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What is the battery voltage? Should be about 13VDC, less than 12VDC and you have a shorted cell in the battery. Check all your heavy gauge cables for corrosion and good contact. Make sure you have a good clean ground on the starter motor. Could be the starter solenoid, the contacts in mine were pitted, did not cause a RPM problem but instead the starter would continue to run after you let go of the key. They are easy to disassemble and clean, just file the interior copper contacts to remove pitting. If you have used the starter a bunch you may be ready for new brushes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, the battery voltage is at about 12.6VDC but when i turn the key the voltage goes down to about 8.7VDC. The connections on the battery and solenoid are fine and when i took the cable that goes to the starter off of the solenoid to clean it and i turned the key the solenoid let about 12VDC through, so does that mean my solenoid is fine or could it still be the problem? The only connections i haven't checked are the starter power and starter ground, but i will soon. The starter shouldn't be worn out as it has less than 2500 miles on it but if i cant figure it out ill probably;y have it tested at the local arctic cat dealer.
Again, thanks for the help.
-Ben

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Are you measuring the 8.7 VDC at the battery post when you turn the key? If so I would bet you need a new battery as it is having trouble suppling enough power to start the engine. If you take it to an auto supply store they have testers that will tell you for sure and you can pick up a new one while you are there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually in extremely cold conditions batteries cant produce as much power. Then after you have been running for a while the motor heats it up and its fine again. Our sleds did that a couple weeks ago when it was -30 degree's out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so should i expect it to do that? it will usually not start at around 0 degrees. so is it normal at 0?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ben

I have two electic start machines, I always use the cord first to pull the engines over first thing in the mornings.

I have no technical explanation other than I feel that it is just too much strain on the whole starting system.

At the very least I will break the motor free of its deep freeze with a couple of pulls and then use the electric start however most of the time I use the rope and save the stress on the starter and battery.

Once the machines are warm then I use the electric start with no issues.

Again, no technical reason why, just not old enough I guess that I have to rely on the electric start LOL!

Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts