Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ext starts running like crap when temp drops below zero. tried about everythingto figure it out but no luck so far. it'll start to miss really bad(cuts in and out). For some reason the slides on the carbs start to ice over. ive took the tank completly off and drained the fuel and let air dry in the garage for about 5 or 6 days tried running iso propelene in the fuel, running nav gas. the nav gas seems to help because it comes with a de-icer blended into the fuel. but i dont carry it along with me. was told to become the lead rider but somebodys gotta babysit the crowd i ride with. somebody else told me that it was an arctic cat design flaw and that year always had that problem any help hear would be great. bang your head . starting to get frustrating awesome running sled when the temp stays above zero

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
well , depending on whats been done to the machine... do you know what size jets are in it???
at below zero you could be lean , you need to see what size jets are in it, also where is it cutting out? off idle midrange or top end, if its a lean jet condition im going to guess around half throttle and above, if this sounds fairly accurate you need to pull your float bowl plugs and pull a jet, you dont have to remove the carb to do it, you may also be able to do some needle height adjustment if the problem is not real bad and only showing up in mid range.

i have my machine jetted figuring an average temp here in michigan at 15-20 degrees if it goes to 0-5 i have to change the jets.

on another note this could be your other problem also check this out. the condition of your intake boots, if you have any cracks or they are fairly old they may be leaking 0 degrees the rubber gets real hard and instead of sealing up hairline cracks in the rubber let the engine pull air through

either condition is not good and if left will result in meltdown of pistons.

i would check the boots first . then goto the jets especially if you bought it used and have no idea what jets are in it.

Dan

·
Registered
309 Posts
if you have frost on your carbs you r freezing up i was running 350 mains 1 size down stock is 360 every time you fill up when it's going to be cold you have to put in dry gas . i rode -20 all day long . when i forgot to put dry gas in and it got cold it would run like crap put it in and let it work it's way through BAMMMM she would come back. put 6300 miles on it good sled

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dry gas is another description for Isopropal Alcohol. I'm not sure how it removes or displaces the H²O from the gas but it sure does work. $.99-1.50 a bottle is cheap at your quickmart or fueling station for peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are talking about something like the red bottle of heat? already tried that does'nt seem to work like i said before when it starts doing it & i pull off the carbs there is ice built up on the slides. only thing i can think of is that im sucking up snow from somewhere, i've already checkedthe airbox for cracks & the carb boots semm to be in good shape. if we dont start getting some snow soon i wont have to worry about it this year got a trip planned for winsconsin on jan 17 but no snow up there either, might have to head west & rent one! bang your head

1 - 8 of 8 Posts