Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post to the site and hoping I can get some tech assisitance!

My Dad has a 97 Bearcat 454 4x4, and it has been sitting for quite awhile with a melted voltage reg/rectifier. I got the quad from him to repair it for him, but have run into a couple of issues.

I replaced the voltage reg and it appeared to run/charge just fine. After riding it around the yard until it warms up good, it dies and will not start back up.

I verified that it does get good spark (and changed the plug just to be sure), so I dont think this is ignition related. It acted like it was starving for fuel, so I went ahead and rebuilt the carburetor, as well as draining/replacing the fuel with a fresh load of high-test. Once carb was reinstalled, I cranked it and it fired right up and idled steady for about 20min. Then it died again and wouldnt crank again.

While searching for the issue, I have made 2 observations:

1). If I pull the crank-vent hose from the airbox, it fires right up and idles perfectly, until I reconnect the crank vent hose to the airbox, which then causes it to die again and it will not fire again. It doesnt seem to matter whether the engine is hot or cold...when I disconnect this hose from the airbox, the engine starts/idles/runs perfectly???

2). When I rebuilt the carb, I noticed a vaccuum plug on one of the ports on the front, right side of the carb; This plug has a hole in the tip and there is vaccuum through the hole in the plug when the quad is running. Is this hole supposed to be here??? When I looked at the schematic, it just reads "plug". I tried covering this hole when it's running to block the vaccuum, but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

I believe these issues are unrelated to the original regulator issue, but is there some chance that the problem could be related??

I appreciate any advice/assistance given to me in advance!!!

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: After running through a series of other tests, I found that the crankcase was full of gasoline, indicating a carb issue (float, needle, seat, etc.).

I drained the crankcase and there was approximately 8 qts of oil-colored-gasoline :angry:. Hoping that riding/running what little I did didnt damage bearings in the engine, but guess we'll see.

I removed the carb from the quad again and disassembled it and went through it meticulously. Once again, I saw nothing visually wrong UNTIL I completely removed the needle seat from the float chamber...There appears to be a significant deposit on the needle valve seat that I believe was letting fuel go by the o-ring seal on the needle seat.

From what I researched, there's no such thing as a rebuild kit for this carb, but I was able to purchase needle/seat, float and bowl gasket....$90 bucks!?!? :wacko:

Ill update once I get the carb rebuilt...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, specifically, the o-ring that seals the needle seat into the carb body was the fix. Removed the needle seat, replaced the o-ring and cleaned the seat very well. Reinstalled the needle seat, reassembled the carb, installed the carb back onto the quad, changed the oil and filter and it has run like a champ ever since.Cat happy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts