Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says what are the differances between the 97-99 ZR440's?i know there is some noticable things but what are they?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Actually there is a LOT of differences. Not so much cosmetic but tons of little stuff.

Powervalves on motor
adjustable ignition timing
34mm XTMX flatslide carbs
ARA (arctic ram air) Induction with a MUCH lighter airbox
rear shock has clicker reservoir
different plumbing on cooling system (lighter)
Secondary roller cover is different
claimed dry weight is 455 where the 97 is more like 475
97 hp vs 90hp for 97.
Bars and steering post are more forward

There is a lot of changes to it compared to 97. It's still the same chassis so basically the same look. It's lighter and puts out a little more power. They are nice sleds.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i could find a 99 motor would it be feasable to put in my sled or am i waisting my time here?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with your 97 motor I'd keep it. Money is better spent on a 01 front end in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Feb 26 2007, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If there is nothing wrong with your 97 motor I'd keep it. Money is better spent on a 01 front end in my opinion.[/b]
that is the next thing that i wanted to do but now i have to rebuild the rear shocks on this thing.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
After you do that consider some good ski's and Shaper bars. With the 01 front end update, C&A ADX's and 6" Shapers my front end bites so hard in the corners (on packed trails) compared to what it was stock it is almost scary. thumbguy I don't know how well it works in the loose stuff yet. It's been years since we've had any of that around... :lol: Good ski's are worth the investment. Take a look at the keels on your stock ski's, if they are all rounded off, throw them away, they are junk.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh my GOD! There was a ZR 440 discussion and I didnt even get involved yet, well maybe thats because Ive been out there riding the track off the sled since we got some MAJOR SNOW!!! Yeah riding has been awesome around here thats for sure!

But yeah, keep the 97 Engine, the 99 engine was no wear near as reliable and much more finiky. The pressure activated exhaust valves on the 99 were very prone to failing. Maybe if you found a 2000/01 engine with all the related components, Id give ya the thumbs up on that. They had the APV valves and were much better engines thats for sure.

Jeff pretty much named all the changes, most of them accured with the introduction of the 98 ZR 440 SnoPro. Before that the ZR 440, such as the 97, served both as a consumer model as well as that years race sled. 98-present the SnoPros came about and were generally filled with all kinds of new goodies each and every year! They are definatly the most exiting releases of the year in my opinion.

Long live the ZR 440s !

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SnORaCeRZR440 @ Feb 27 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Long live the ZR 440s ![/b]
Here Here! :beer_cheers:

Those ZR 440 Sno-Pro's are just a bunch of fun! I've just purchased a 2nd one, and am looking for a 3rd right now! They are the "Mustang GT" of the snowmobile lineup. Everybody that rides our 1999 ZR 440 Sno-Pro, doesn't want to give it back.

Reactions: SnORaCeRZR440

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i couldnt agree more with how fun these are..even though mine is a 97 and not the fabled 99.hahaha j/k guys..but anyway everyone that rides this sled just loves it..even thought the rear shock is missing all its oil from the ****pit control breaking the braided line off it..but its still a blast to ride.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
One other difference I forgot to mention that most people may not be aware of is the Y pipe is shorter on the 99 Sno Pro vs 97 ZR 440. They are not interchangeable though as the mount flanges and bolts are at different angles. As far as I know, shorter Y pipe would have the effect of moving powerband more towards higher RPM, while longer is better for low end. I have a spare headpipe for my 97 and I may have it shortened and see how I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts