Arctic Cat Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
If I read you correctly the week spark moved from the dual coil to the single coil (2 to 3). Just to verify, you unscrewed each wire from the coil and moved it one place to the right? Some models you can unscrew the wire from the coil and others you cannot. If this is the case, to me, this would indicate everything up to and including your coils are good and the issue is from the wire out to the plug.
You mentioned that the spark was bright the first two hits and then fades. This is just the case for the one week wire, correct?
If it were me I would build up some new wires with new caps.

If anyone else following along has another perspective I encourage them to chime in.

I generally find comments like "all aftermarket stators are junk" to not be very useful. Stators are not complex items and any competent rewind facility should have no trouble delivering an adequate product.
Yes, stators can test good and still be bad. I only get rewound stators from Kev. Always good. Not worth the head aches. The only other thing I could not see in this thread, (might of missed it) is you haven't check the pick up coil to see if the ohms are correct. They can reek havoc. The 600's have a different ohm than the big blocks. I had a 600 once that was off a few ohms and would not spark under compression only when pulled out of cylinder. Check your ohms on that before going any further.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry I have been idle for so long life got in the way and I was just able to get back to the cat. So far we have swapped a different cdi from a running sled, with no change. As well as new stator, plugs, boots, wires, coils, and added additional grounds. Went through 3 different single lead coils to find one in spec, and 2 dual leads that both tested out good but gave the same result. One thing I found odd is when I installed one of the single lead coils that ohmed out at 14.8 the sled would only run on the single lead coil and both sides of the dual lead coil were weak. Only thing I have not replaced is the ignition sensor, it ohms good and the other 2 cylinders are firing strong so was kinda counting that out? Any other ideas would be appreciated I'm at loss of where to go. I attached a list of my ohm specs and keep in mind the weak spark follows the wire to any cylinder i put it on.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Are these readings at room temp? Was it outside?

·
Registered
9,972 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
And yes I did get one from rm stator... begining to wonder if that was a mistake seeing coil 2 is reading at 40.8 and is suppose to be 20. I'll re check everything tomorrow to be certain but I'm thinking I need to call them and see about getting a replacment or a refund maybe?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok so it's about 60 in the shop right now and the sled has been in over night. The rm stator tests at
Primary- 40ohms
Secondary- 471ohms
Lighting- .5ohms
Obviously bad according to the specs. My question is I just measured the one I removed my oem one and it measures
Primary- 19.8ohms
Secondary- 441ohms
Lighting- .4ohms
Do you think I was fighting a bad coil the whole time and the stator wasn't actually bad or are these numbers consistent with a bad stator? They are well within spec but I don't get to deal with them on a daily basis

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Well, being that its an RM stator, that could very well be the problem. Not saying it is,..... but have heard countless times those are bad after installing and after running an hour. Some even junk right out of the box, even when ohmed out and ohmed correctly. Friends don't let friends buy from RM Stator. This is the guy you want to do your stators. He is doing a few right now for me. Never an issue. Always quality work, done right the first time, every time. Has a 2 year guarantee to boot, and he is a member here! Don't know what to tell ya really. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Welcome to Stator Kev's - Home https://www.statorkev.com

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well it went back to them today so we will see if they can make it right... if not then I will get ahold of him. And have my oem one fixed. I guess shame on me for not asking the group before ordering. I went with them because I wanted all new and I guess that was a mistake. Unfortunately im past the 30 day mark... it has 2 year warranty on it but if they can't get me a good one I guess that won't matter.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
I would ask for your money back. If you get a good one from them its a crap shoot as to how long it will last. Don't know if you can get the cash back or not. Not familiar with their policy. Kev only winds Cat stators so If you have your old one send it to him if it comes to that.
I will say it again, not saying it is your stator, but even with a new one of theirs, its always been a matter of time. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I appreciate all the help! I will go the refund option if they will give me that option... been about three months unfortunetly, so don't know if that will be an option. I'll keep you updated I'm almost positive this is the issue. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
Tcat446 is dead-on the money. RM Stator’s suck!

Take what last two messages explained to heart. I still believe it’s very possibly in that portion of main harness, or, possibly weak voltage output to the dual lead coil.

Either way, now you’re on the right track. And FTR, Stator Kev IS the man!! No if’s and’s or but’s about it. He rules!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah I screwed up! Figured I would spend a few extra bucks and get one that's all new and I should have just sent mine out to have it redone. So now I get to fight with them to see if I can get a good one. If not I'll leave a bad review on Amazon so hopefully no one makes the same mistake I did!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts