Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys went to go out the other night and fire the sled up and its running on two cylinders. 1 and 2 are firing but three is not. I tried replacing the plug and nothing. boot was replaced 4 years ago, and the other 2 have a nice bright spark wondering if it could be the wire? 1 and 3 are on the same coil so i would think the coil would be OK since the spark is so strong on 1. any suggestions on where to start i haven't tried ohming the wire can you just unthread them from the coil? thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
You can trim back the wires and re install the plug ends. Same on the coil ends. I have never seen a coil go bad. Not saying they can't, just very rare. Check the wires connecting to the coils. I think but not sure they are like 14 gauge wires. Sometimes the terminals are loose. I am assuming the plugs are new and are not fouled.
Be sure you have a good ground on ALL ground wires. From the CDI to recoil housing, and there should be a wire from muffler bolt to recoil. Also look closely at the CDI ground end. Mine was brown. They are known to corrode inside without any sign of corrosion. Mine did that sitting in the driveway. I cut it off and put a new end on and that fixed mine. That is a good way to burn the CDI out in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've seen one side of a coil go bad twice. One was a ZR900 and the other was a firecat. I would trim up the wires first though and give that a try.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i plan on trying it this weekend, all the connections looked tight so i will try trimming the wire. i can say i have never had them out of the coil, i was not sure if they came out of that end or not! so ill pull them and trim them back and try that first! I did redo anything that looked like it might be loose or get water in it when i rebuilt the sled so i will double check all those as well while i'm at it. I was thinking it was a plug wire issue but i wanted to make sure if that wasn't it i had a next step!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so after some checking the half of the coil took a crap so i ordered a new one should be in today. hopping that fixes the problem. it was about use for new wires any way!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys need some help still having some issues with the sled. Replaced the coil, and i now have spark on cylinder 1 but 1 and 3 are weak still, blue in color but weak compared to cylinder 2, i found the ground for the cdi box corroded so i redid all my grounds. checked everything i could check and everything is checking out good. tested coils, stater, voltage regulator, i unplugged the 4 prong connector and bypassed all the accessories. I'm beating my head off the wall here, any help would be greatly appreciated is there anything i could test? am i stuck buying a cdi box and hoping that fixed it? number 1 cylinder is still not firing but is sparking since replacing the coil. i can move that wire around and the miss will follow that side of the coil. the coil is brand new ad testing great. any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have you switched plug wires around to see if it follows the wire, if it doesn’t follow the plug wire, than it has to do with that cylinder, fuel/carb problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the miss follows the wire. was doing the same thing with the old coil but it was having low readings so i replaced it. still happening with the new one, and the stator and voltage regulator check out good.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That’s weird then, must have something to do with cdi power going to coils. I would think anyway. It is a wire from from the dual coil that is not working?

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
Is the wire end cap that goes on the plug cracked or bad? Maybe try another one. I assume you changed the plugs to new ones.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plugs are new all plug boots are in good condition, i have swapped all of them around with no change. miss stays with that number one cylinder unless i move the wire then it follows. and its on the lower side of the secondary coil. and the coil is new. wondering if the cdi box is not supplying enough voltage to that coil to fire both sides of it so its resulting in a weak spark. might switch the wire ends coming out of the cdi box to the opposite coil and see if there is any change. This thing is really kicking my ass! guess that is what i get for telling my buddy i had 2200 problem free miles out of it when they made fun of my cat haha

·
Registered
565 Posts
It has to be something to do with power coming from cdi to coils. But I have no idea how you check CDI I don’t think you can switch those wires around

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah I don’t know if any way of checking cdi I had read something about it awhile ago but didn’t save it. If you have a buddy with a triple cat you could try and swap cdi and see if it changes anything then you can rule that out

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
There is no way to check a CDI. Only thing a guy can do is put another on it and see how it acts. That's the only check I know of.

I had a bad one for years not advancing the timing and before finally dying, I think it was advancing waaaaay to far and caused some engine damage. Detonation. My belief is because of corroded ground wires.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i did have a severely corroded ground wire i cut it back to where there was only about 3 inches left and added to it, and it even still had some greenish tint to it. have not tried putting new ends on the power supply ends on yet. wonder if that is what is happening. might have fried the box. my issue is everyone that i know has Polaris no cats are there any other cats that are interchangeable with the zrt6 or are they make specific? i know a guy with a zr 580 not sure if he will part with it or not so i can at least try before buying new. and any suggestions on brand? was looking at them threw Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Any cdi from a cat triple will work, but you will have to know whether it is open loop or closed loop for how you will have it set up. Mine was normally closed loop and I put an open loop on it which makes everything backwards. Needs to be a cdi off of a cat triple though. Zrt, tcat

1 - 20 of 41 Posts