Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why this sled is spitting the coolant all over the engine compartment. Went 30 miles and it's empty. Maybe a rad. cap?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
perhaps, or a loose clamp or pin hole that sprays under pressure.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked it over for 1/2 hr. when we parked and found no leaks. Just looks like it comes out the overflow tube off the resevoir bottle. That's why I thought maybe a bad cap. Hoses not hard either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same thing happened to me on the same sled. I would make sure your coolant is circulating. From a cold start do the exchangers get hot at all? What is probably happening is that your system is building up too much pressure because the temp is too high and your cap is releasing the pressure (as it should). There is a bushing inside the impeller and make sure that mates tight to the shaft and doesn't rotate on the shaft. Note the shape of the shaft and the shape of the hole, they should match. Might sound like a lot of work but it should only take about an hour to check, had mine in and out in about 15 minutes because I did it like 50 times haha :D

My guess is that your cap is fine, check out the thread "ZRT Cooling issues..." that was my thread, it might help you out.

-Nate

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The exchangers do heat up just fine. Wish I knew someone with a tester. I think I'll swap it out with my t-cat cap and see what happens before I buy one since I don't know anyone with a tester. I'm gonna try to burp the system with the lower rad. hose by squeezing it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
head gasket...... 1 O-ring is shot causing it to blow out and heat up... mine did the same thing, I could drive for awhile before the o-ring would let coolant by.... if nothing else works check that next...

BM...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just put in new pistons, rings, pin bearings and water pump shaft and seals. 6250 miles on it (original). This sled used to be mine. It is now my stepson's. It only has approx. 35-40 miles on it since rebuild. Seemed fine when we ran it all around the yard in July. We went approx. 30 mile last weekend and then discovered this.

At the time of rebuld all the o-rings looked great. I double checked them. If I pull the head and find there ok then what do you think?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Feb 7 2007, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We just put in new pistons, rings, pin bearings and water pump shaft and seals. 6250 miles on it (original). This sled used to be mine. It is now my stepson's. It only has approx. 35-40 miles on it since rebuild. Seemed fine when we ran it all around the yard in July. We went approx. 30 mile last weekend and then discovered this.

At the time of rebuld all the o-rings looked great. I double checked them. If I pull the head and find there ok then what do you think?[/b]
if you used the old ones on the rebuild I would replace with new... like I said mine was the same way, no problem until later down the trail when I would start nailing er good.... seemed the o-ring would hold just enough on low rpm...

BM...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx,

I will order new ones and post after installing and testing. Thank you all very very much. I really apprieciate it!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
For my 2 cents worth it might be a sticking thermostat .

·
Registered
199 Posts
dont feel bad about reusing rhe o-rings,unless they have flat spots on them its acceptable to reuse them,its most likely you pinched one of them putting it back in as a used one usually fits a little big if you dont freeze it before reinstall

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blackmax

It was just as you said. The new o-rings in the heads was the ticket!!! No more anti-freeze out of the resevoir bottle. And it sure seems to pull hard on the top end now. THANKS TO YOU AND TO ALL, FOR ALL THE HELP. I sure do appreciate it!!!

Sorry it took so long to reply. My computor crashed and I just got back up and running. I also had to get some help from the arctic chat personel to get back on board!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts